All is well that ends well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All is well that ends well

I bought this bike, a 1980 XS100G in 2001. The PO had receipts that he showed from the local dealer, that indicated he had spent $1600 for carburetor and brake work. From the notes in the Clymer manual, he apparently got the bike with about 22000 on the clock and sold it to me with about 27000. The bike had a small electrical problem that caused him to quit riding the bike and bought a new Star fro that same dealer, since he drove the bike to work every day excepting when bad weather rolled in. I had him drive the bike in his pickup to my house and quickly found the electrical problem. I drove the bike for a year and a half. I noticed that the bike would drip fuel on my left leg, not much at first, but progressively more and more. I put the bike away in 2003, thinking that I would get into solving the fuel leaking problem, but I really did not want to tear into four carburetors. I had joined the XS site when I got the bike and had read up on all of the maintenance items. When I put the bike away, I would start the bike every week, but the petcocks were leaking and fuel was dripping out of the air box. The XS site apparently quit posting for a while I believe it went on a hiatus, I don’t remember, but I soon lost interest in starting the machine and put off fixing the bike. A few months ago I decided to start the project, and joined the XS site again. Today I completed the fixing portion and road the bike around the neighborhood. On to getting the bike re-registered and inspected. A few punch list items need to be completed. All in all I am happy that the work turned out to be very enjoyable. However I have about 200 plus hours in solving the riddle of the carburetors. That is, about 50 hours of actual work and 150 hours of just staring at the machine. This does not include the waking up at 2:00 AM with a few eureka moments, and not being able to get back to sleep.

All those views and no replies...

Where is everyone? XS East isn't til Friday!
    I will say '68-Glad to hear it! I hope you are happy to have it running and riding again.
    I am new to this and mine is with Ed-the wonder mechanic-. Hope to have her back soon.
    Keep up the good work, and ride safe!
    80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
    79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Glad you got it fixed. You only spent 150 hrs staring at your bike while fixing it?!?!? I wish I could work on mine that fast!

If I think of something important at night I try to get up an write it down, that way I have a clear mind and can go back to sleep without worrying about forgetting that which I just remembered!
      Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
      '09 Buell Ulysses
      '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Working...
      X