Late model GT Cobra vs XS11.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late model GT Cobra vs XS11.

Before yall flame me, I do not condone street racing and have held my high speed runs when out riding to open interstates or deserted backroads but this twerp pushed me to far. This did take place on a road at the edge of town, nary a house or another car in sight. So, I am coming home late from work and hit a red light. This rather menacing, black GT Cobra pulls up next to me. I pay him no mind till he starts to do his best pro-stock staging act. I look over at him and he yells out the window "that thing have any balls"? I replied, "very large fuzzy ones". He makes some snide comments about my full faired rig and something about training wheels. I asked him if his mom knew he had her car out? That set him off pretty good. Eyeing the stoplight going the other direction, checking mirrors for approaching cars, I slide the clutch out to where I can feel the bike start to pull and assume the fighter pilot position. Still at idle, the light changes and Cobra boy hammers it off the line (5 speed). I drop the clutch and dial in all the troops. Cobra has me by a car length. Speed shift to 2nd (oh crap, wheres my dremel tool now), at 8k. Front wheel lofts about 8-10 inches off the ground and the Cobra is now in my mirrors and falling behind. I shut down when I caught third and the Ford went streaking by with the young man behind the wheel saluting me with one finger. I motor on home at a much more sedate speed grinning from ear to ear. The old XS "still be bad".
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Moms car

Perfect is all i can say
    79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
    80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
    06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
    2000 Concours
    84 Kawi KLR600
    79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
    79 XR250
    Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
    John

Comment

and a good time was had by all...

oh wait... maybe not him...

Spidey strikes again!
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

You go man...you GO...I love the looks I get when my Ratster pulls the front wheel up off the line...I can stick with a crotch rocket thru 2nd gear but by 3rd Im givin it Hell and they're givin me tailpipes...

It's ok...she's a cruiser, and that's how I like to ride her...
        "Rat Rod"
        79 XS1100 Standard
        87 VMAX cans
        Cheap Japanese Tires
        Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
        Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
        Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Some stupid...

guy in a new Jeep thought the same thing. Two left turn lanes, me in the outside one and he decides he wants in front. Ha, ha all the spinning of wheels and screeching noises didn't get it. At the freeway onramp he was beside me again and thought he could beat me to the area where two lanes become one. Ha ha again, at that point I was dissapearing in the distance so far ahead he could hardly see me and since I was just shifting out of 3rd at 120 mph there wasn't much chance the situation was gonna improve for him..... Dam I love these old rockets......

I mean, really, a Jeep?
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I am not going to lie, I have been in that situation a "few" times before. I try not to instigate anything in fear of getting injured or a ticket. A couple of times I have come up against a new rider on a modern sportbike. I love to SHUT THEM DOWN! In high school it was awsome to shut down those rich kids driving their fancy sport cars with the girlfriend in the seat next to them. I love that feeling when you know the light is about to change and you are ready to go. Open the throttle, lean forward, postition your feet and your off.
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Had a similar thing happen on LA 308 just west of New Orleans near a little town called Raceland (seriously, look it up). Red Cobra Mustang. My response to the offer of a race was "I only race for pinks and I already have too many Mustangs". Then I left him in the dust first chance I got.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

That's an awesome respeonse...LOL...I love that one
                "Rat Rod"
                79 XS1100 Standard
                87 VMAX cans
                Cheap Japanese Tires
                Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
                Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
                Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

I had a similar experience, many years ago, but on my shadow 1100 (85)

My brother and I had been redoing a VW beetle for several months most nights after work. It wa a bout a 1/2hr drive back and forth to the shop.

During the summer we often went on the Shadow, and I normally drive pretty sedately, especially in the city. We were both going to school and lived in Edmonton at the time.

One day, almost home, we are at the last major stop light before home and this '72 Mustang pulls up to the light and does the 'you wanna go?' thing.

I looked at my brother, asking what he thought, and he nodded to go for it.

When the light changed I cracked her wide open and the front wheel didn't hit the pavement until the other side of the intersection. The 'stang didn't stand a chance.

The funny part was, when I slowed back down my brother was hyperventilating 'holy ****, holy ****, holy ****'.

After we got home he got off and said 'I didn't think the Shadow could do that....!'

I just grinned, it was hilarious.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I cannot count how many times some jerk on a harley almost drops off his girlfriend at the light trying to show how fast his bike is compared to mine.That happened alot on my 94 honda magna. I don't have to race them. I just laugh as their girlfriend struggles to not fall off. For some reason i'm more mild mannered when i know i've got the juice Hopefully i won't have anybody try to race me when i hit the road on my xs1100. I'm going to make her a flat black stealth looking bike
                    1978 XS1100E Standard
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                    TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                    Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

I am almost scared as to what will happen when I get my xj1100 on the road. Currently riding an xs750 and I find myself speeding way to much.

In fact, a co-worker informed me this morning that last night I had a ghost cop car follow me pretty much all the way home. I was surprised that I didn't get pulled over if that were the case as they usually turn the cherries on when I'm only 1 or 2 over the limit, let alone 20 or 30.....
                      K. Johnson
                      -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                      triple clean and boots
                      -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                      replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                      -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                      $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

For those of you that don't know,

And this is for any bike, look for the point where the hp and torque meet on a dyno run, for ours i believe it is 6k. Put the left foot under the shift lever and balance on the right foot, lean forward over the gas tank, rev motor right at 6 k, with rapid on and off rolls, shift with no clutch at 7 or so with no clutch, you will have to shift quick two times and let her roll out in third gear. Shift into fourth at leasure... Last time I knew this will take care of ANY car, unless it is supercharged, as a matter of fact most bikes. Amen Bro's
                        If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

I had a guy in a volkswagon try to race me. I usually just let the other person pull away from the light if I think they wanna race, and just leisurely take off. This was a different situation. sitting at a stop light, car beside me pulls up, and in a few hundred feet is another light, but my lane turns to a turning lane. So I'm sitting at the light, I know that a car is beside me but don't bother to look over. The light changes to green and I take off quicker than normal as to get in front of said car, when I hear a noise and realize that they chirped the tires off the line... and he's almost right beside me. I think to myself, No, thats not happening. I twist it back and take off. Lets just say that although the Volkswagon had a jump on me, he didn't stand a chance! BTW, this was on my 850.

Comment

If I told of the speeding I have done and why you guys would be laughing way into the next day.
                            From out running the state trooper to hearing my brother tell dad" that him coming down the road, he just turned, he just turned again and that is him dad you wait and see if he is not coming up the driveway in a second".
                            I have done some crazy things but I would not take those kinds of chances now. It would cost too much. My luck has not been that good lately.
                            But I am glad you knocked the doors off!

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                              I am not going to lie, I have been in that situation a "few" times before. I try not to instigate anything in fear of getting injured or a ticket. A couple of times I have come up against a new rider on a modern sportbike. I love to SHUT THEM DOWN! In high school it was awsome to shut down those rich kids driving their fancy sport cars with the girlfriend in the seat next to them. I love that feeling when you know the light is about to change and you are ready to go. Open the throttle, lean forward, postition your feet and your off.
                              Hobbyman.
                              Now I can understand why you were using that secret formula, custom blended, special fuel.
                              It is a great big beautiful world out there
                              Brent in GA
                              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                              X