New, Thought I would say Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New, Thought I would say Hi

I bought my 1100 today! Needs the usual work for a bike that has set for years!

I'll be asking questions! Thanks for being here!

Deny
    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Trust me, you'll love it here. I'm still a little new here, and I'll actually be leaving soon, but these guys (and girls) are great. In fact, DiverRay's working on some carbs for me right now.

And good luck on the bike, they're a blast to ride.
    1981 XS1100S (former)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

welcome aboard......

hey there DenyP.....not to scare you but ya better be able to roll up the sleeves and spin a wrench or 2.....depends on how long she sat, how she was stored, babied or beaten, etc.......best is to search the forum using the search button on the left to look up how to bring this bike back to life....not sure of the exact thread, but it gives you all the do's and don'ts of working on this bike.....what to look for and how to repair it before you mess it up.....btw, ya might wanna contact the dealership about getting some studded snow tires for winter....hehehehe...
      seriously though, there is a wealth of information here that is yours to do with what you want....it seems that every bike on here has it's own story.....good luck with your new, old (30 years or so) bike....also if you have a question, it seems that the members like to have pictures to see what you are seeing.....it gives a better description to "that doo-hickey".....ross

p.s. if you could fill in your signature also with what year, type of bike you have (standard or special), that would help....
      rebel devil
      1979 xs 1100f standard
      authenic historical vehicle
      42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
      "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
      "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
      "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
      '96 venture cct.....installed!
      stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
      i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! Ross, I test rode a new one in '78 and have had the burning desire ever since! I have been known to be handy with a wrench in the past - we will see LOL. The bike was last on the road in 2004. It has been in inside storage since until last fall. Bike looks great for her age. I am looking for mufflers at the getgo as one is rusted through.
        I will add the detail of the bike to my signeture shortly. Gona wait till I am sure of the year. Guy I bought her from (My Brother in law) is a trucker and is out till latter in the week

Thanks Again

Deny
        Last edited by DenyP; 05-10-2008, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Can look here if you have the serial Number
          Click...
          http://www.xs11.com/specifications/serialno.shtml

mro
          Welcome to XS land

Comment

and thats how it works....

hey there DenyP....you ask for info and someone from the family will answer your question.....mro knows his stuff....have the page bookmarked myself....who needs a manual.....a few pictures and we can tell ya what ya got and what she needs to run....ross
            rebel devil
            1979 xs 1100f standard
            authenic historical vehicle
            42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
            "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
            "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
            "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
            '96 venture cct.....installed!
            stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
            i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

who needs a manual

Not that I'm too XSive, but I have 5 manuals
              Altho mostly just use the Yamaha ones
              First one was a gift from a fellow XSer and the others came with bikes I picked up here and there.

mro
              BTW, I really don't need the Clymers or the Haynes...
              So $10.00 plus freight?

Comment

Deny,

I don't know if you have kids and have seen the movie "Ice Age" but this quote apllies.

Sid the Sloth to Diego the lion, "You're with us now....dignity has nothing to do with it. "

Welcome to the board.

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Yesterday it rained and rained and rained - so I didn't even have a chance to bring her home. After posting here I did order a manual, a Clymers I think. Just like a little kid, I couldn't go to sleep last night I am so excitted. I will load her on the trailer today and start my quest. Drain all the fluids and replace them with new, add a new battery and see if she will talk to me. I met my wife while crusing on a bike. She is nearly as excitted as I.

Deny

Comment

Welcome to the site. There does not seem to be anything that the people here haven't run across before and we are fortunate that they are willing to share their experience and wisdom with the rest of us.
                    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                    '82 XJ1100
                    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

originally posted by Deny
                      Yesterday it rained and rained and rained
                      Little wet ... means nothing to a rider
                      There be something called "rain gear" and "tarps"

If you have yet to go to get it, take your camera.
                      We like pics (well, I like to see pics of everybodies bikes)

mro
                      Hey Prom,
                      he be fair game now (has 3 posts

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH
                        Deny,

I don't know if you have kids and have seen the movie "Ice Age" but this quote apllies.

Sid the Sloth to Diego the lion, "You're with us now....dignity has nothing to do with it. "

Welcome to the board.

Don

Learn to spell Don....duh. "applies"
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Not just great for the bikes, but the people...

Hope you enjoy the new 'baby'.
                          When I found this site, I was at the point that you are, couldn't wait. Just super excited.
                          That will not fade. The people here are just the best. There is a camraderie here that you won't find anywhere. I would've never had the courage to get as far as I did if these guys(and gals)hadn't been so supportive. I look back now at how ignorant I sounded-sometimes still do-and they never once gave me a hard time or teased me. Just told me that I could do this and gave me tons of instruction and help, even as to how to post pix.
                          There are events up your way, I'm sure. And people that will introduce themselves thru PM's or threads, to meet up and ride. I mean, how cool would it be to pull up to the local HD hangout with 4 or so great looking XS's?! You're wife sounds like she's really looking forward to the times you'll have.
                          Summer is coming fast and it should be a great season for those of us in the North. Ride safely and enjoy every minute of it, both of you. There is a respect and fondness here for this machine that is contagious. You will become infected-in a good way!!
                          We need pictures of the new arrival!!!!
                          80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
                          79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Guess I expected a little ribbing about not bringing her home in the rain LOL. I live in the country - can you say slimey dirt roads. Actually, if she were in running shape, I would have road her. As it is, pushing her up a steel tilt bed trailer in the mud and guck would have been taking a chance.

I took some pics. Don't look too close at my messy shop. Haven't done spring cleanning yet!

As you can see I have started working.

Yep, I am looking for mufflers!

I've gota drain and replace the gas, oil and filter and install a new battery before I want to spin her over. I hope to get that accomplished tomarrow night.

Deny

Comment

78 or 79?

What's the first 3 digits on the frame?
                              Looks like the perfect combination of my 79 & 80.
                              Not bad.
                              80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
                              79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Working...
                              X