Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" XS11 pucrhase

I hope you all could give me some advice. I found a '78
    model with 8K on the odometer. The bike looks like it's been stored in a time capsule, it is pristine. The owner is asking $3,400. I am trying to figure out if this is a fair price, and what things I should watch for, specifically, those quirks that may be associated with this year model. Any advice or suggestions
    you could make would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

First of all, check the following Tech Tip, located by clicking on the Tech Tips button on the left of your screen. http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc2.shtml

Secondly, I don't think these machines cost $3400 new, so in my opinion, unless it's still in the crate, that is way too much. Just a rough guess here, but I would say that you are looking at around $400 minimum to bring it into a drivable condition. And that just covers tires,carbs, battery, brake system, oil and filter.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

If it is 'pristeen condition' both visually and mechanically, and by that I mean new tires, brakes, battery, etc., etc. than it could be worth that amount but 99.99% are not worth that. An XS1100 books for around $1100 for one in good drivable condition, with dealer warrantee. According to www.kbb.com . BUT, It would not be hard to buy an average one for $500-$1000 and dump $1500-$2500 to make it pristeen. Meriam cycle sells them remanufactured for $8K-$10K, but these are 'better' than new. Without looking at it I could not say, but $3400 is Very Expensive for an XS, it would have to be a show bike for that much cash.

There was a 2001 Bandit 1200 with 3K miles in the swap sheet this week $4500......You are getting close to the price for a slightly used modern motorcycle.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

hmm...

So, I went on to kbb.com and looked up my SG. Here's the link to the kbb value --> My Bike's KBB Value ... I guess what I'm wondering is... If I paid $2100.00 for this beast, which is in the aforementioned "pristine" condition.... meaning all of the following was done prior to buying:
        New Dunlop F-11 Tires
        Complete head job w/new intake boots
        Carbs cleaned and synchronized
        New starter switch
        New speedo cable
        New Mirrors
        New Jardaine 4-in-to-1 Exhaust
        New gas tank petcocks and vacuum assembly
        New K&N Filter

Did I pay too much?
        '80 XS1100 SG <== now parting post 45mph wreck

'79 Jeep CJ7, my other lover and drain of cash...

Comment

Re: hmm...

Originally posted by sam_cg_cook

Did I pay too much?
          That is something only you can answer.....for $2100 even I would say you got a good deal with all the service work done to it...IF it runs as good as it should with that work done. Stop worrying about it and enjoy the ride! It looks like you have a machine that is over 1000cc, fully serviced, new tires, etc, etc.......where else you gonna find that? (I did think $3400 was a little steep) should be a good runner for years to come....guys who get the $60 bikes often spend $2000 making them as nice as yours already is.

Gary Granger

Comment

Gary,

Thanks for the reply... be fully assured, I love this bike. I only asked because I'm new to biking and bikes in general... and like anyone, just wanted to be sure that I got the deal that I thought that I had. I feel like I chose my first very wisely.

Sam Whitcomb

Comment

I had been looking for a bike in mine and my SO's budget for almost a year. I bought my xs'g full dress in almost pristine condition for $2000. I've found bikes in Texas tend to run higher than any other place I've looked and they sell quicker, probably due to the fact that we can ride about 11 months a year.
              Jason

Comment

...in Maine...

Jason-

Texas' 12th "unrideable" month would probably make prime riding conditions here in Maine... where today, 3/7/78 at 06:13EST the temperature outside is a staggering 7.4*F, with light winds... yep that's correct, friends... seven point four degrees. Swimming, anyone?

Sam Whitcomb

Comment

Sorry guys,
                  I been riding back and forth to work and play for the past week. The high today is supposed to be 75 and tommorrow 78.
                  Jason.

Comment

Sam,

You coming to the XS rally in Maine this year?

http://home.infi.net/~wkings41/xsne03/
                    Gary Granger

Comment

The cost of a $100 bike

Gary "sixtysix" Granger wrote:
                      guys who get the $60 bikes often spend $2000 making them as nice as yours already is.
                      Gary speaks the truth, though that is entirely dependent on who's doing the work. I bought a $100 '79F and put about $500 cash into it. That didn't count many (enjoyable) hours of work and some parts from an XS11 junker I already had. Add all that in and the cost would easily have been over $1000. Depends on what you like to do. Here's a shot of the bike...

Bill & Tina in Caribou, Maine. February 2002
                      Bill K.
                      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Maine Rally

I sure would like to make it, Gary... we'll see how things shape up.

Comment

Working...
                        X