Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Gear

I'm having trouble locating a new second gear for a
    1981 XS1100 can anyone provide a little help?
    I've been searching the net with very little luck.
    Thanks.
    79 XS11

I have found best place for parts is Zanotti's, make sure you tell them it is an internet order if you call. They offer a serious discount on internet orders for club members.

Zanotti Motors information:

Zanotti Motor Co. Inc.
    170 Pittsburgh Road
    Butler, Pa. 16001

OPEN M-W-F: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm,
    T-TH: 9:00am - 6:00pm,
    Sat: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

TEL (724) 283-2777 FAX (724) 283-0383

E-mail: Zanmot@aol.com
    Web page: http://www.zanottimotor.com/

Or try Merriam's Cycle http://www.merriamcycles.com/html/xseleven.html
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

If you want to look up the parts and get real time prices....try www.partsfish.com or www.bikebandit.com. Parts fish is usually cheaper though.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

is the problem with your second gear that it keeps jumping out of gear if so their is an easy fix i did it 6 years ago also to 4 th as well thats prone to wear to
        regards carl

Comment

Queston for carl

Carlxs1100s---When you say it is an easy fix, could you elaborate?

Comment

Hey there Twal,

Well, it's not exactly easy, but it's do-able without pulling the engine, although some acrobatics either for yourself, or the bike are in order, either hoisting the bike and laying under it, or turning the bike over on it's back(my preferred technique). I've done this fix on 2 bikes, my 81SH, and an 82XJ, both the 1st/5th and the 2nd/4th combo. If you go to the techs tips pages, you find lots of links and some newer drawings that can help to explain what's happening to the gears, and what you have to do to recondition them. Ken Talbot has lots of info in there. Some folks have just replaced their gears, but mine were done 2 years ago, drove it from Va to NY and back, and again to NC, as well as all around town, no slipping/slapping or problems.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I Split the engine removed the layshafts and simply removed the second and fourth gears and re squared the dogs up granted on a cutter grinding mc i know its only a make do fix but since the i
              have done about 50,000 miles the bike in total which i have owned from new 10 june 1983 has covered 185.000 miles on original engine and parts only replacements in 20 years are lots of exhausts and seat covers and 1 cdi unit 1 stantion 2 front mudgaurds cant seem to get rid of her

Comment

2nd gear fix

Thanks for the replies---the xs1100G I bought (with 7400 miles on it this past fall) had just begun exhibiting this "2nd gear problem". I'll study the "how-to" forum---but does it get progressively worse and worse until it slips out every time you go through the gears? Thanks again.

Comment

Slip sliding away

Hey there Twal,

Well, mine actuallystarted in 1st gear, would put it into gear and then try to accelerate and it would pop out and back in repeatedly, especially if I tried to put any kind of torque/throttle into it, so I would ease out in 1st, then shift into 2nd. About a month or so later 2nd gear started doing the same thing, that's when I parked it. So...yes, it will get progressively worse till it will feel like you're riding a bucking bronco as it slams out and back into gear. You're better off fixing it now, otherwise you'll round off the "DOGS" so much you'll really have to grind a lot more off of them to get them squared. That was the situation with Deano Koehler's machine IIRC from what he stated when he tore his down and inspected it, so he got all new gears. The dogs are pretty thick, and aside from this design flaw(not undercutting all gear mating surfaces), Yamaha over-engineered things to be fairly strong, so that's why I had no qualms about grinding a fair amount off of the dogs, like 1/16 inch or more thickness off of the surfaces, to allow a slight undercut so that the gears would actually pull together under stress. Look at the diagrams in the links, it'll explain the undercut idea very well. Good luck!
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey again Twal, and BlackD,

I forgot what FORUM I was posting in. If you'll go to the XS/XJ Discussion forum, look for the 1st gear popping out topic, the graphic that shows/explains about the problem is still there and may help in your understanding the problem. And we need to take this topic to THAT FORUM, this forum is for chit/chat, not TECH HELP talk.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

check out this source....

try www.bikebandits.com I found they have almost everything.

they also have the schematic (sp) to find the parts. I also read the the spacer for the gear was installed on the wrong side of the gear from the factory. this causes the problem. I ran across a place that does this repair and corrects this problem. I will look for the addy if you like. Good Luck...

wpc57
                      wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

My Dad purchased first, fifth gears and the shifting fork from the Yammy dealer to the tune of around $180.
                        DZ
                        Vyger, 'F'
                        "The Special", 'SF'
                        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Last time I checked Merriam Cycle's site, they claimed that we can still get new ones from the factory, and that they are now back cut from the factory. You can try them, they are an excellent authority on the XS1100, but I think they are pretty proud of their parts and knowledge if you know what I mean
                          80sg "Reaper"

Comment

Working...
                          X