Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs 11 not starting

Hey Folks,

I "ride" an '80 xs 11 special. It doesn't start. I pulled a plug and grounded it to the head, and I don't get a spark until I release the starter button.

If I crank it for a while, it eventually backfires. I bought it two years ago, and its always been hard to start. Now it just won't.

Getting fuel, compression, and the battery is new and is showing 13.32 vdc.

HELP!
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Start with checking the pick up coil wires This is a pretty common fault with these 20+ year old machines....
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Help!

Mine was doing the same thing right after I got it.
      Remove the cover on the left side of the engine and check the wires going to the ignition pickups. They are probably broken internally. Pull on them and watch for stretching.
      Funny how wire does not stretch. If that is the problem you can do it the way it says in the tech tips or get some heat shrink tubing and trim the insulation back and solder them back together. On mine there was enough slack that I could pull the wire up in there for the movement of the vacuum advance.
      There is lots of help on this in the tech tips section on checking this and checking the coils.

Take Care!
      Keep the Shiny side up!
      Tinman
      --------
      XSTin
      80SG

Comment

It Worked! You guys rock!!

It "hourglassed" just as you described, and sure enough, the wire was broken.

Well, I stubbed a piece of wire in there, but how can we replace these pickups? None of my bike shops can get any parts for my bike.

I'm one step closer to riding, yeah!!
        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Hey there Skip?,

As suggested, there are tips in the Tech's Tips section on how to perform the Pickup Coil wire fix, you don't replace the pickups, just the wires.

Welcome to the group, and even though I'm not a moderator, thought someone should mention, you will want to post further TECH help requests in the proper FORUM subcategory. This Forum is for NON-tech discussions, like the weather and such. Not meaning to step on any toes!!!!

Good luck in getting it fixed.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Oops, my bad...

Hi TC,

Thanks for letting me know. Still new to this "forum" stuff. Got it started though.
            1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
            X