The Excitement is building!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Excitement is building!

When I first purchased my 80' SG I was very worried. The PO said there is a very good website for this motorcycle. I said " why is it so hard to roll?" He said, "hmmm dunno why do you think it's hard to roll?" At that point I had to find some help. Then I filled her with 2 gallons of oil ... Thanks prom and the rest of you. I was trying to look through the kick-start window.... (rush rush) I thought there was some huge problem.

Did all of the maintenance that needed to be done with the help of you guys. The list is long and somewhere in the steering archives it can be found. Now im getting excited.

Completed 468 miles since my original purchase in January. I did not like the front end at all after doing progressive springs/fresh oil seals. But, I just installed the Tkat fork brace. Unfortunately she can’t be riding since the bleeping snow is falling. Have to say I was a little worried about sending some guy 90$. But, like someone once said 7 days after he got the check I received the brace.

I have a new seat on the way. Good thing cause my butt hurts after 40 mins. Mark @ diamond needed a few extra pictures and it takes some time to make a good seat. But, he is always a pleasure to speak with.

I can’t wait to go riding again. Just scheduled a trip to Moab UT. May 15-18. I can’t wait!

Now then... This 1st/2nd gear problem. The bike seems to shift fine. I haven’t really had any trouble other than. Makes some good clunks when shifting to 1st... And through the rest. Unless Im gassing it up. I must say it sounds like the racetrack when I do this. Im amazed at the power! Thinking I should wait for a shifting problem to arrive. And if it doesn’t... I could look at it next winter.
    Getty

1980 SG

"A sort of shifty fella..."

No reason to mess with the tranny until it goes bad. That's if it goes bad. Not everyone has tranny problems. And yes, we have 'clunky' shifters.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Wow, I was just about to ask about the clunking shifting. I have a few hundred miles on mine now and was wondering if the clunk into first was normal. If Prom says it supposed to be that way than I can rest assured that is the way it is supposed to be.
      1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
      1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
      1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Hey Getty, PM me bout riding to Moab. Here would make for a nice break and if you would like some company for grins, always up for a ride. Let me know. Sounds like your tranny is fine. With some shifting practice you'll be able to make those gear changes so slick you won't even hear the shift. And hopefully you won't be seeing what was on Vail and Eishenhower today. Was a mess I see.
        Last edited by motoman; 03-31-2008, 10:51 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Point well taken prom.

Moab will be fun... 4 other guys and I will make the treck down there. 98 Magna, 2000 V-strom, 2004 FJ1100, rented hardley, and the best of all 1980 XS1100... Will let you know more as we get closer to the date. Will be passing right through Grand Junction.
          Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Mountain snow- ehhhh

Yeah Im a little worried about planning this trip so early. But it was the best we could do to get all of us together. Better not snow.
            Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Working...
            X