Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another FNG saying hello

Hello everyone;

I've been checking out the website and forum for a few days and wanted to say how much I appreciate the info, tips, how-to's and general advice available here. I've turned a few wrenches (and busted a few knuckles) on various bikes over the years, but it's always nice to have model-specific comments, ideas and solutions available.

One day, late last fall, I came home to find an '80 XS Special sitting in front of my garage, needing some attention. I pushed it inside and put it up on the bench; then winter came. I've not been able to work on it yet, as the garage is completely snowed in, and the door is still frozen to the ground. I will get to it when the weather permits, and take stock of what needs doing. Currently, it is little more than a rolling chassis, but eventually, it will roll again. I'm looking forward to that day. Truth be told, I'm just looking forward to getting the garage door open so I can ride anything. I've never gone an entire winter without at least one ride.

Clearly, this weather has gone on too long. Watching 'On Any Sunday' while sitting on the couch in my leathers, helmet, boots and gloves isn't working any more. I think tonight I'll watch 'Then Came Bronson' instead.

Cheers,

-chris
    'Tis far better to think without acting than to act without thinking.
    If only I listened to myself.

Hurry up and get that door open!

Gonna get milder next week. The count down is on!

Cheers,
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

AGREED ... The weather man says the weather will take the "turn" starting Monday so hopefully the snow will really start to go. It past due that's for sure.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Don't you Canadians have riding snow-blowers or something to play on?
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well, at work we do have a small Kubota tractor with a snow blower attached, but it leans the wrong way in the turns. Then again, the rear-wheel steering works great in the hairpins...

Comment

In the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Git er done!"

Enjoy your bike and welcome to the board.

Don
            currently own;
            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
              Don't you Canadians have riding snow-blowers or something
              Close. Mine has electric start, halogen headlight, fingertip steering clutches, and electric heated handgrips, but I still have to walk behind it.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

not yet

just watched the farm report and they say 90 days more below norm temps hope there wrong and you guys north of me quit sending it south!!!!!!!!!!!
                dick

Comment

Welcome!

I wish bikes would turn up in front of our garage that easily... Wait a minute... maybe not... no place to put another one... at this time...

Okay... I'll bite...
                  FNG?
                  Friendly New Guy?
                  Floundering New Guy?
                  Feisty New Guy?

Mix and match?

Fun...
                  Forgetful...
                  Frozen...

... New...
                  ... Nude...
                  ... Naive...

... Geezer
                  ... Goat
                  ... Gambler

Y'all could always move south... (of course it's that easy )It's been beautiful riding weather around here lately... well... except now it's raining... but it will dry much more quickly than the snow drifts...
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

been south

morning !lived in fl. 28 yrs got to be to hot to many cars guess i'll just wait till the snow melts just a longer winter this year must be that globel warming????

Comment

Re: not yet

Helloooooo ... almost all of the bad weather we have had this winter and for sure most of the big snow dumps came UP from the USA ... eh
                      Rob

Originally posted by brokenarrow
                      just watched the farm report and they say 90 days more below norm temps hope there wrong and you guys north of me quit sending it south!!!!!!!!!!!
                      dick

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I checked the record for the summer of 1971 and highs were at or just above 20* C. on most days. So they are likely right to expect 90 days of cooler then normal temps :-(
                        It starts with a late cool spring because the usually warm wind will be cooled when it passes over all this Fing snow and this delays everything and reduces overall temperatures.
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

snow

your right the big snows came out of the sw and our lake effect comes from the north i'am in the middle of the u.p.

Comment

When the orphans show up on the doorstep.

They don't always just turn up at the garage door; usually it's an acquaintance whose cousin/brother/sister-in-law/mailman has an uncle with a neighbor who's got a bike that broke down and has been sitting in the shed, unstarted, for years. Typically, they'll trade it for a case of beer or a bottle of scotch if I come by with a trailer to haul it away. However, in this case it was a donation from an old friend (or more specifically from his wife) who was finally making good on his eternal promise to clean out the garage. Coincidentally, a few days before that, I had gotten rid of a basket-case 550f single cam Honda, which made the girlfriend happy, and freed up a bike sized space in the shop. It seemed like fate, so, here I am.
                            By the way, Wildkat, FNG is usually taken to mean 'f**king new guy', though I'm not sure if it's better or worse than being called 'rookie', 'junior', or 'newbie'.

-chris

Comment

rotten weather!!!

Damn, I hear ya! Had to dress in layers this morning, 'cause I knew that 'though it was a cold and bitter 40 degrees at 8:00 A.M. it would be an uncomfortably warm 65 degrees by 2:00 P.M. If I removed my sweater and jacket liner and put them in my bag ,would I have room for a six-pack of Newcastle Brown Ale after work? Is it worth paying $1200 per month for a crummy 1bedroom cabin, $3.75 per gallon for gas and $6.50 for a decent hamburger, to live in a damn near perfect biker paradise? "Ya pays yer price (or go into debt) and ya takes yer chances."
                              E.Liberty
                              Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                              I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
                              X