No announcement yet.

Re-covering my seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't have any faith that I could do the job myself so I took both of my seats into an upholstery shop in Kittery, Maine and got them back a week later looking new.

I made sure they cut into the seat cover of one as it was more smooth than my other one. I too, like some support there to keep me from sliding back on the seat.

I mentioned to the guy that I slide all over whenever I put Armorall on the seats. I was surprised when he said that Armorall will actually weaken the material so I should never use it.

Don
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

I was thinking about doing mine in a tan austrige hide. The bike is gonna be Kiser Grey...I figured it would be a nice offset.
      1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs
      1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

I wanted to do my seat in tan also to contrast the black but the wife shot me down. Maybe I need to find some better fabric than walmart clearance rack specials.
        79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

what you do is go to some old timer upholstry shop and see what extra stuff they have laying around and strike a deal.
          1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs
          1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

Actually,

Originally posted by manshack_one
            Maybe I need to find some better fabric than walmart clearance rack specials.
            ... this is really good to practice with... let's you see what will work and what won't without sinking a lot of time and money into more expensive material... Sometimes, you can score some pretty nice leather pieces on E-bay... geniusloerts had a pretty good idea with the upholstery shop too...
            Around curves, the material will begin to bunch up... so you'll need to cut darts (although someone here with more experience may have a better way to do it):
            How to sew a dart (in case you were wondering)
            I haven't gotten around to making my seat cover for my FJ yet as my machine couldn't handle the material... Someone already mentioned that it can be difficult to sew through 3 layers... SOOOO right!

Whatever you choose... good luck and post pics when done!
            (or along the line)
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

I was so close to going with a tan seat, sort of darker shade, and have my tank and battery covers painted dark green but I chickened out and went with the standard colors. (Black seats, one bike maroon, one candy red)

Don
              currently own;
              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Daily ride has a white seat, with a white backrest on the box. The winter project will be all black, with maybe some gold piping.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well, being the hard-headed guy I am I tried to recover it myself this weekend. While functional, and with added padding, it just is not very aesthetically pleasing (read in ugly). I was thinking of just going with one of these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...14643210400359

I did notice when I took my seat cover off I could see the original pattern from the bike indented into the passenger section. The driver section of the seat had a nice indentation of someones rear end. Couldn't be mine, I haven't been on the bike enough to leave a mark like that.

edit -
                  I'll probably order it from denniskirk seeing as how they have 2 on hand and jcwhitney is 3-4 weeks out.
                  http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...802&mmyId=4022
                  Last edited by manshack_one; 03-31-2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

You can also try the B&H Specialties seat covers. A few of the bikes around here are running them, including the seat for my project bike. They fit VERY well, and look like a new stock seat!
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So, how do you put the B&H ones on? Just lay it over and hook it to the v-points? Do I have to send them my seat?

Comment

They already have most of the patterns...

as long as you have a stock seat, you just tell them what model.
                        They send you the cover (with instructions)... You take off your old and then put on the new... bend the tabs back to their original position... and you're good to go.
                        You do have to be a bit careful with the tabs as the more you bend them back and forth... the weaker they will become.

Here's the B&H Specialties Website:

B&H Specialties
                        81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                        X