Re-covering my seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-covering my seat

I bought some new leather for my seat. Should I just use the adhesive right on top of the old vinyl or strip it down to the foam?
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Strip it down to the foam.

Comment

What adhesive?

I did a couple of these seats, but I don't remember any adhesive.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

aye, cap'n.

Any suggestions for an adhesive? I was thinking of the stuff you use for the headliner in a car.

I was thinking it would need one to help it follow the contour of the stepped seat.

Comment

I can't remember the exact name, but 3M makes a product that works well. Just be careful since some things will eat foam.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

No Adhesive needed

mro

Comment

that's cool and all but I have no idea how to stitch it like that. I planned on just gluing it to the foam and letting my ample sized back end keep it conformed to the foam shape.

Also, I don't have a stepped up seat like that. Can't find a link to any of my pics right now but I've just got a big grey wide seat with a much less noticeable second seat.

Comment

If you have the old cover...use it as a pattern.

mro
                BTW, 1/4 inch thick pad sown into the cover where your butt is going to be really helps

Comment

I suppose a rudimentary upholstery lesson is needed here.
                  What is the cover attaching to when you sew it? Is there another peice under there I need? My seat right now just has about 4 width-wise stitches across the seat. In my mind you're stitching it to the foam but that can't be right.

Comment

If you want the padded look as in mro's picture... you have to sew in some kind of foam pad... That is what provides the quilted look to it...
                    The thickness of the foam will depend on how much effect you want (as well as comfort)... Maybe an 1/8" to 1/4" padding... if that much?

The seat cover is removable so you don't sew it to the foam itself... I'm guessing, if it's stock, it is held on with metal tabs that you bend up to remove the old and put on the new.. then bend down the tabs to secure it in place...

The cover on my seat was done by B&H specialties here in Hurst for around $75... Several people on the forum here have bought a cover from them and all have had good luck with theirs (as far as I know)...
                    I never did put any adhesive on mine.. and I haven't slipped off yet...

Here's a thread from trbig regarding his cover
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

sew in some kind of foam pad...

There be different densities for the thin pads.
                      Also need "interfacing" material so the pad is sandwiched between seat material and "interfacing", other wise will be a problem with stitches in the foam pad.

Seat materials can be had pretty cheep. (got mine at Joans on sale all material and uphostery thread less than $20.00)
                      One problem is I don't have the patience to sew by hand and a regular home sewing machine has problems doing three layers of vinyl

mro

Comment

Real leather?

Hi Manshack,
                        If you are planning to use real leather, like from the outside of a cow, and are also asking for a rudimentary upholstery lesson, I'd say, don't do it. If you want a real leather seat pay a professional leather worker to do it for you. As one who has made vinyl seat covers on his mom's sewing machine many years ago, let me say that $95 spent on a Saddleskin replacement cover is an absolute bargain.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Awww, but I've already spent 8 bucks on a yard of Nubuck faux black leather from Walmart! I'm too far in to give up now! I've already spent 8 bucks!!

Seriously, If I can't get it to work then I'll go ahead and break down and send it to someone. Hey, I already painted my tank with 98 cent rattle cans so I figure I can make a decent job out of the seat!

I'll try and put some time into at least pulling the seat apart and looking at how it's put together. I do my best work by reverse engineering!

But I can't promise it will be soon. I just got my carbs back from Do Lee and I've got loads of road testing to do!

Comment

Hi Manshack,

Basic plan is to strip off the cove, figure out the joins, and use it as a pattern to make some more pieces the same shape as the originals. Leave 'em a bit longer at the bottom, where it wraps around the seat base.

Stitch 'em together.... most home machines won't sew three layers........ and you should have a new cover!

For a first try , I would miss out the pretty stuff.

If it sounds a bit complex, consider repairing or patching what you already have; How bad is it?..... post a pic!

AlanB
                            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

There's really only one little hole in the seat and my big leg covers it up but I just want something a little better looking than the dull grey it is now. Plus the vinyl seat I have is slippery. When I throttle up hard I slide back on it. Maybe I need to invent a contraption that uses suction cups or something to hold me still. Same problem when I release the throttle, I slide forward.

Speaking of, I was thinking of putting some type of return spring on my throttle down by the carbs. Just something to minimize the lurch I get when I drop the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                              X