"new" xs1100 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "new" xs1100 owner

picked up a 1979 XS1100 with 21000 miles. I tore the bike down to the frame, cleaned, painted, new breaks, new seat, ready to run? No, I have gas in the oil. I figured I had a float stuck. Disassembled all carbs, clean real well. set the floats at the book setting. all seemed ok, and it is as long as I don't select Pime. My question is, will the floats shut off the fuel when in Prime or am I asking too much of these float valves? Being a new 1100 owner ( I have a 2002 Road Star) I assumed the floats would hold the fuel. Do I replace the float valves? Thanks in advance for any help I can get

The floats are supposed to shut off the flow, but don't count on it. The later models had rubber tips on the needles and probably worked better. The earlier years had a metal tip sitting against a metal seat. Throw in 20+ years of use, a grooved metal needle, or a pitted seat, or a perished rubber tip, and you're asking for trouble.

If the needles are grooved, you'll want to replace them and/or make sure you never leave the petcocks on prime. If the seats are dirty or worn, you might clean them up by lightly running a drill bit CCW by hand.

Finally, be sure the petcocks are working properly so there is no fuel flow in either on or reserve unless the engine is running.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

You can get new carb kits and petcock kits from K&L at any bike dealer. Kens advice is right on. If you had 80 and up carbs I would have suggested checking the o-rings around the needle vavles, but a 79 should not have those. I would check the floats for leaks, those brass ones can develop pin holes.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Another thing to check would be the float pivot pins. After a recent cleaning, I had trouble with #1 float sticking (flooding- gas everywhere) and found a very slightly bent float pivot pin. I straightened it and have had no more problems.

Good Luck!
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I have ordered replacement float valves and hope they arrive soon. I am getting excited about getting this one on the road. I'm sure it will be an experance. I am used to my Road Star and its a great ride but not sporty. Lookin forward to the ride. I'll let ya know how it runs in a few days. Again, thanks and stay safe.

Comment

Frank,

Middleburg Florida! I had a secretary work for me for about 6 years from Middleburg. She and her husband always said it was a great place to live. (They were stationed at FAFB in Spokane). Now I know of 2 folks from Middleburg.

Welcome to the group.
            Mark Van Winkle
            Spokane, WA
            K7HPT
            79SF

Comment

Working...
            X