Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Vetter Pharaoh's, Nabob's, Wizard's and Guru's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Vetter Pharaoh's, Nabob's, Wizard's and Guru's.

I have a set of Vetter hard bags on the Swiftcicle and a set of Yamaha rear crash bars. As you would be aware, the bags stand out proud of the crash bars.

What I would like to do is create a set up like the Yamaha set up where the bags are protected by the crash bars and there is a chrome 'bumper' from one side, around the back of the bike, to the other but I've never seen anything like that and was wondering if any of you blokes either have a similar set up or know of one somewhere. A pic would be great.

A note to the mods. Stick this in XS/XS Discussion if it doesn't belong here.

TIA
    Dan.
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Lawn furniture

Hi Dan,
    I dunno what you got in mind or if you can even buy such a thing. If you want to (or are stuck having to) build your own, garden furniture is a good place to source the raw materials. The hard part for an amateur like myself with working steel tube is not welding the parts together, it's in putting decent looking bends in it. Go scrounge up some neglected old lawn furniture at a yard sale, with the canvas all torn and the paint faded it'll go for a song. And it'll have all those beautiful factory bends in it. Cut as required and any fool can weld up a butt joint, right? I've turned several lawn chairs into special purpose carrying racks that have worked well for me. The bamboo look'll grow on you, too.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I heard that to help bend thin tubing , fill it with sand first. I haven't tried it but a few people have sworn by it. I don't know how well aluminum tubing would work for a crash bar though. You could mock it up in that and when you have something you like and fits, have it made out of steel IMO. Good luck!
      1979XS100SF
      2007 Dyna wide glide
      Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

I think Vetter made a set of full rap around gaurds for their bags maybe some of us who are looking for an excuse to hit the yards can start looking, and let you know if we find any. they shouldn't be to hard to ship. Wire them together and throw on a few stamps.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

That would be great! I was looking at my bike from behind today and his fat arse needs dressing up...
          I'd never find a set here so even if you found a rusty old set, as long as they were straight, I could get the re-chromed.

Thanks and good hunting.

Dan
          Last edited by Stralya; 03-07-2008, 02:01 AM.
          Automotive Imbecile.
          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Check this out

Hi Dan,
            go to Pro's "I talked myself out of it" thread and check out the photo of the bike he gave to his brother. Those chromethings on it's arse end, right?
            Mebbe Pro's bro would part with them?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Can you post some measurements? Like the width across the back and the length of the bags so we can check out the odd stuff that may be adaptable.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

That's the Yamaha set up

Those are Yamaha bags. I have the rear crash bars from that set up. That's the set up that made me ask the question about a similar set up for my Vetter set up. As for the width, never mind the width, feel the quality!

Fred, the Vetter bags are too wide to fit pro's set up, I was wondering if Vetter made a set up for their bags.

Is this a set up?

Dan
                Wordsmith.
                Automotive Imbecile.
                1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Fred,
                  I doubt Sluggo would part with his luggage protecters, or whatever one calls them.
                  I do like your mention of using old lawn furniture for stuff. What a great resource!
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Stralya............check my thread, "pictures of tourer". This is how the standard came in 81, which I bought new back then.......called the Venturer1100. Also still have the original touring set-up complete including fairing and in as good of cond. as you see here...................unfortunatly would cost a fortune to ship. But gives you a good idea what it all looks like.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey motoman..

Nice bike but once again that's the Yamaha stock set up. I have Vetter bags which are much wider than the Yamaha bags.

This is what it looks like from behind but this is a Honda 750.

Dan
                      Automotive Imbecile.
                      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Yeppers, Stralya..............couple summers ago a local bike shop had a 79 Special that had all the Vetter bags on it, all in very good cond. as was the bike. Wasn't a bad price either at $1100 either.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have to throw this out there- if you are thinking that some metal around your plastic hard bags will help you keep them nice- please think again- I don't see any difference between not having them and having them if you are smacking the bags hard enough to hurt them in the first place.

A get off low side or anything like that will obliterate a set of old vetters- a slow speed low side.

I build frame sliders and cages for stunt bikes as well as put hard bags on bikes- and even the cages barely minimizes the damage.

Go for the looks and don't drop the bike LOL

The metal rails on the Vetter bags are really there so you can set them down nicely in the hotel room when you take them off LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X