nuther oil thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nuther oil thread

I've read someplace that motorcycle oil begins to break down as quickly as at 800 miles. Would it be a good idea to cycle a quart of oil (cheap stuff) in and out at say 400 miles after a ride? It would require a special drain plug, something that you could take just a quart. The point to doing all of these little oil changes would be to keep the oil condition at a constant level. This would be in addition regular oil and filter changes.

Would this be just a waste of time and money?

Does an oil plug like this exist? Maybe TC could whip up one for us.
    Nubee

If you are that concerned about viscosity breakdown, switch to synthetic engine oil. It is more durable. Just change it at the same interval as you would any other oil. It costs more, but it sounds like you'll sleep better if you use it.

To install a ball valve, you'll need to add a piece of pipe to the drain. I would not want that stuff hanging down there.
    Last edited by jetmechmarty; 03-02-2008, 07:32 AM.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Hey Nubee,

Get an oil cooler. The reduced temps is a big part of helping to keep the oil from breaking down as quickly, especially in those Texas summers!

If you wanted to drain just a quart, just stick a hose thru the filler hole and remove it that way, kinda like they do when the flush engines!

There is a recent thread about oil, durability, where the dirt comes from, etc. in the Tech Disc. thread.

And "what" motorcycle oil are you talking about, and in what motorcycles? Lots of variables there!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TC,
        Not only does it get hot here in Texas, but we have a lot of traffic (especially in John's neck o' the woods)! Unless you're gutsy enough to split lanes, you just kinda sit there and cook at 3mph. An oil cooler needs air flow to work. Our bikes don't produce enough power to pull a fan on the oil cooler. I use the yama-robber stuff myself in my 80sg, but it seems to me if you were to run a lot of non-synthetic, not too slippery oil through you would be better off.
        Nubee

Comment

Hey TC,

I don't see how you can compare a water cooled taxi cab (in the Tech Tips) to an air cooled bike.

I lack the technical prowess of the mechanical wizards that are so frequent contributers (thank you very much, I grovel at your feet )

Could we keep it simple for guys like me, sort of like putting in gas?
          Nubee

Comment

Read through this articele:

http://www.motoroilbible.com/two.html
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

oil cooler...can't hurt

Just the additional oil and the oil just passing thru the cooler helps dissipate some heat.

mro

Comment

Hi Nubee,
                oil breaks down quicker in a roller & ball bearing engine than it does in a shell bearing engine like the XS11 but yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable running my XS11 more than 2,000 miles between oil changes. You don't need a special limited capacity drain plug though, simply suck that quart out of the filler hole with a syringe & flex hose. If you must. Not that it's needful.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

On all my bikes I change it in the spring, mileage regardless of mileage. I would have to put over 10,000kms on it in the summer to warrant changing the oil twice.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                  X