• Very Disturbing Trend Here

Very disturbing trend.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legislt...003/g03002.asp
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

As long as they don't demand my organs while I am upright and moving

Personally, I cannot see why anyone would choose to ride without as much gear as possible. I feel naked if I don't wear my riding pants when the temperature soars. However, I recall one superbike rider passing me last summer, on the right, who continued on to weave in and out of traffic, including lane splitting. He was wearing a helmet, but was bare from the belt up. I got serious seat pucker just from thinking about him sliding down the road!

This organ issue got some major bandwidth on the BMW list, but I didn't follow it. Most of those types list from work (lot of boring jobs!), and their topics tend to degenerate into hyperbole and general dreck!
    Norm Willey
    94 BMW K75RT
    nwilley@shaw.ca

Comment

Up here we have a thing called the Flood Run. A very common sight is a guy on a rocket dressed up to look like a Power Ranger and a passenger wearing as little as is legally allowed. I try to show them the road rash I still exhibit from 20 year old injuries. Injuries to the parts of my body that leather and fiberglass weren't covering. But of course, they all know it just couldn't happen to them.
      Sidecarmikel
      aka Mike Laubenstein
      Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS1100 soon to have sidecar
      1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar
      1989 TransAlp/ no sidecar yet, but I know where there's an Equalean!

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

That is discrimination against bikers, pure and simple. IF such a law had any support, it should be written to include car drivers, kids in playgrounds or anybody who has a chance to become 'brain-dead' and did not wear protective gear. But to say my body belongs to the state of New Mexico, if I am brain dead, is a giant step for big brother.

Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

This is typical liberal invasive crap. Liberals who want nothing more that to own every part of your life, what you drive, what you eat, what you wear, how you spend your money, how you spend your time and now, what happens to you when you die.
          It makes me sick!

How 'bout we pass a law that says if you are a politician, you are automatically an organ donor.
          Oh wait, that wouldn't help the heart patients now would it!
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

This is typical liberal invasive crap.
            Don't think so. Hurt is Republican. Amoung other things, he is proposing an increase on excise tax fund and limit or remove the ability of patients to file malpractice suits. He is not a liberal by any stretch of the imagination.

Sources of information:

http://legis.state.nm.us/senatedetai...&Submit=Search

Search on the Farmington Daily Times to review other Hurt articles:

http://www.daily-times.com/Stories/0...ml?search=true

What really bothers mee is his attempts to put more tax on beer!

Hurt has introduced Senate Bill 155, cosponsored by Sen. Dede Feldman, D-Bernalillo, that he said would "equalize" the excise tax on beer with the tax already placed upon wine and spirits. It would effectively increase the tax on a 12-ounce beer from a nickel to a dime.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Republican or Democrat, either way it is invasive thinking. He also wants to raise taxes and has coupled himself with a Democrat to do so. Hmmm....
              I think the man is confused.
              He is only messing with healthcare tort reform because he is a doctor himself.
              Most of the doctors I meet don't like motorcycling one bit, and I meet alot working for the largest healthcare org in Texas.

Like some other stories I have read about this, the big fear is ppl going to NM to run down motorcyclist because their daughter needs a liver transplant. This would set a very dangerous precedent.

Comment

I agreee it is invasive thinking, but it is right in line with the Total Information Act (all financial transaction information is the property of the government) and the Bush administration's move to shield companies from lawsuits, existing and potential. My point is that this thinking is current main stream, not liberal. Generally, liberals are against such government coersion, believing they infringe on personal liberties.

Motorcyclists and bikes have come under fire before. Remember the proposal to put catalytic converters on bikes? Mandatory helmet laws came about because the Feds wouldn't give any money to states without such laws. (Many of those laws now repealed.) Several cases over the years where localities have tried to make streets 'no-motorcycle' zones.

I don't live in New Mexico, but ride in the state several times a year. One very successful XS Rally was held in Chama, NM. I would e-mail (state) Senator Hurt and let him know there may be economic impact to his state if riders take their rallies and tourist dollars elsewhere. Don't know if this would offset gains to be made by supplying organs, but might be worth a try!

FWIW, I ride with protective gear, but reserve the right to take off the helmet to get some wind in my hair. Its my decision to make, not for some bureaucrat to decide.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.

Comment

I, too, always wear a helmet and think its crazy not to. Riding in motocross as a youngster, i know what it feels like to fly off a bike on both dirt and asphalt. (It hurts...Alot!)
                  But that is still up to the individual. There should be no law stating that we cant do stupid things if we want to, unless it invades or endangers another life. (btw, i have been known to ride without a helmet, but I'm never comfortable doing it)

I have been a member of AMA since I was about 10 years old. My father was a lifetime member. So I have been reading their mags for some time. I am a big supporter of bikers rights and this is a big rights issue for sure.

Jerry, your idea of contacting this sucker in NM is a good idea. I'm going to do it myself. I have a good family friend who lives near Albuquerque. I'm gonna contact him and see if he has heard anything about this issue and get him and his riding buddies to do the same.

Comment

Thanks for the addresses. I have sent an Email to Senator Hurt asking him to clarify/explain (I do not take the media coverage at strictly face value). I will pass on any answer I get (or let you know if I get no answer at all).
                    CUAgain,
                    Daniel Meyer

Comment

By the way, the complete bill can be found here:

http://legis.state.nm.us/session03.a...pe=&number=239

Looks to me like it has already passed.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.

Comment

AMA Kicks Arse!!!

The good Senator has recanted (with his tail between his legs)

That is how powerful a group can be if you stick together.

Heres the link to the story

http://www.ama-cycle.org/releases/2003/A03002.asp

Ride safe...especially in New Mexico

Comment

Yes! I may have to look into joining the AMA.....

However, to be fair, the AMA article is not quite correct. If you read the bill, there was a catch: if your license specifically states that you do not wish to be an organ doner, no organs would be harvested. Only if there was no indication, or an indication of yes, would organs be harvested. Small point, but not quite the same as the AMA "all motorcyclist" statement indicates.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.

Comment

I love the internet! Gets the word out about stuff like this, and occasionally actually stops it!
                            CUAgain,
                            Daniel Meyer

Comment

Hurt's intention was good, but misguided.

I do as much as practical to save my ass to come home one more time to my wife and kids, but if that strange mishap should occur, I have signed my DONOR CARD so some other sucker can get a little break out of my mishap.

Donors are in demand and there is no better donor than a healthy one that gets wrapped up in a vehicle accident.

Hurt had the right idea, but the wrong method. Rather than MAKE people be donors, he should ENCOURAGE people to be donors through education and awareness.

Its pretty clear that unless one has some core belief otherwise, being an organ donor is a very cool thing to do.

They don't call them Donor-cycles for nuthin' !
                              Rocky
                              00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
                              80 XS11 Special -sold
                              77 HD Sportster
                              75 Norton Commando

Comment

Working...
                              X