Anyone use chrome polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use chrome polish?

I tried three different types of chrome polish to remove the bluing on my exhaust headers.

Wizards and BLUE-JOB

I liked the Wizards a little better but I still wasn't satisfied with the results so I bought a stick of #6 green polish from the local Northern Tool. I rubbed the polish into a piece of heavy cotton cloth I had. I cut the cloth into 3" X 4' strips. I made a double loop around each of the pipes and with a sawing motion I worked my way form top to bottom. Three hours later the headers looked pretty good

No power in the storage area
    Nope, the chrome is thin enough.
    6.67%
    Nope, bluing gives the bike character.
    13.33%
    Sometimes, just to spruce them a bit.
    53.33%
    With a vengeance.
    26.67%
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 02-26-2008, 12:16 AM.
    Nubee

Storage????????

Where you live and by the looks of the picture you should be riding not storage.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

It's always nice when the pipes look as good as the rest of the bike does!
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

They look nice!

GREAT job! Today was sure a great day to show them off too...

I use chrome polish regularly (okay... so regularly for me isn't really so regular) ANYway... my problem is single-walled headers and the carbs still being a little more on the lean side than I thought... Got my headers all polished and pretty... only to have them blue up a bit in the next several rides...

Polishing... a poorman's stress relief...
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

I use Turtlewax Chrome polish. It really cuts through rust, and leaves a bit of a 'sealer' behind to keep the rust from coming back.

I find I only have to use it once each spring and the chrome is good for the rest of the year.

I've never had blueing on an of my pipes...but I have tried to reblue my 303!
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I second the ole turtle wax stuff you can really use it heavily and like he said, removes small rust.
            XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
            Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Ya done good I use Autosol chrome polish. I HRC Ceramic coated my headers so they dont blue-but the Autosol still cleans em up sweet. As you can see i polished the fork legs-with Autosol....many hours of polishing there.....I find polishing very soothing ...especially with a few beers
              Last edited by chrisso; 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM.
              80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

never used it much on pipes tbh.
                But it does wonders with the rust flakes that were on the chrome when I got the bike. Some parts were almost ready to be re-chromed, but no need after a short session with the polish.

I use some noname stuff I get in a local mc store.
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I use automotive rubbing compound and a buffer. Then I use a little simacrome polish. I like the results!

Deny
                  1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                  1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

The problem using any type of chrome polish is that the chemical left behind on any areas that have heat causes the chrome to dis-color and turn kinda of a gold-yellow, not to be confused with lean condition. Blu-Away comes in a small, small bottle and is a paste. My headpipes had seen some real abuse before I got the bike back. They were almost black the first six inches. Used on a small area at a time produced perfect results........should at some $17 for a few ounces! Alot of the bigger accessory bike places uaually carry it.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                    X