30 year patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Whole Story!

December 05, 2007 was when Wayne and Ralph first talked about the possibility of making a patch. Page 6 of the Rally thread.

It was in mid Jan. that Wayne contacted me about possibly using WildKat's design, remember that PM Kat? That's when I told him about the bike photo image, and what I would work on. Wayne then informed me about how they had decided NOT to try to use Wildkat's design. I sent the designs to Wayne and Ralph Feb 1. Wayne replied Feb. 3rd that they didn't yet have any ARTWORK, just a computer print, and ASKED me if they could use the ARTWORK(detailed bike image AND XS Eleven logo) that I had sent to THEM, adding their own twist. And I said sure.

On that same day I received an email from Ralph showing the Silhouette design he had come up with, along with the text/Font that he was suggesting. I then re-volunteered the OEM XS Eleven logo text graphics along with a suggestion of reducing the wordage a bit. This was when he was still trying to use his LOCAL patchmaker. And yes, I was dissappointed in him not using the graphic that I had worked on and had provided to them. I had sent them a copy of the OLD 78E patch showing what was possible, and about where I had gotten the other patches from, and discussed about the design of the patch, the use of the OEM font, my feelings that it was the BIKE that was being honored and to then relegate it to a Silhouette wasn't doing justice to the patch's potential.

And then Ralph posts on the FORUM the patch design on Feb 19th, still using the Silhouette and the NON-OEM XS Eleven logo fonts. Again, I was disappointed in the design. In his own words in that first post, he states that he's not the most experienced with computer graphics!! He was testing the interest level for the patch. He got several posts over a few days that counted to more than 50 patches that could be sold.

Prior to him posting the patch, I had contacted the mods and a few others about the possible upcoming design, and asked for their input regarding the higher detailed design. I expressed my concern with Ralph's design and my feelings about what the patch should show, and whether I should post an alternative design knowing that I could hurt feelings of those involved. Most of the folks I contacted were also not pleased with Ralph's design. We felt that possibly many of the members that posted in support of Ralph's design were doing so partly because they were wanting to applaud their efforts in doing something for the membership, thankful that a patch of any design would be offered, but not knowing that alternative designs had been submitted in the background!?

And so after some soul searching, I decided to present the alternative design since it had only been a few days since Ralph had posted it, not knowing that he had apparently already sent in the approval for the patch and the substantial payment required to have the patches made!?

I know the financial burden it puts on the member to do this, having fronted several hundreds of $$ myself for the other 2 patches that the site offers, of which I have still not sold more than 1/2 of each, and have yet to recouperate my advanced investment, but I had the funds available at the time, and knew it would be a long term investment, FOR THE SITE and it's Membership!

AND SO NOW knowing that Ralph has already invested in this, and that the patches are already on order, and that I do not want to leave him with UNSOLD patches, I will withdraw my alternative submission for a patch to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the 78E. If and when he is able to completely sell out his design and he then informs the membership of this, I don't know if he ordered only 50 or 100, I will THEN and ONLY then Re-evaluate the possibility of offering the alternative patch!

Thankyou for your time, and hopefully your understanding in that NO MALICE was intended in my seamingly poorly timed actions!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

"I'll take one or two..."

Ralph,
      How soon 'till the patches become available?
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The Mods are suspended

For the time being...I'm the Mod...Prom and TC whats up here? Things getting boring at Ch.11 without certain memebers?...J/K...Man you guys sure did rock the boat I cant believe this emanated from the Mods....Ok just kidding here. I promise to keep you all civil...ah what fun is that
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Well... since you asked...

yep... I remember the PM... I also remember saying that I have a difficult time letting go of my designs... that I would be glad to have the patches made myself if that was the design they chose... They chose to go another route... Which was fine (and still is fine).

I don't think anyone thought that your actions were malicious, TC... just ill-timed. I also understand that you were more or less talked into posting the alternative patch...

I think it was all just an unfortunate set of circumstances surrounding people who were simply trying to do the right thing for the XS community.

I also think everyone will appreciate the people and their time involved with this project no matter what design is used...

I would like to offer a possible compromise... I had been looking into having key fobs made... Using my design, ABEmblems said they could make them for around $3 each. I'm certain they could do something similar in the same price range for any other design.

Perhaps, TC, you could do key fobs using your design? I know we would be in for at least 2...
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Kat For Moderator!

Hey Kat ...some good suggestions here...I was actually looking for key fobs or chains when I ordered my 30th anniv.T-shirts and Hoddie Sweatshirt.I really like your depiction of the XS.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Well I must say that I am somewhat disappointed that the patch with the added detail will not be available but I will buy 2 or 3 of the patch that becomes available when it is available. I would for that matter buy 2 or 3 of both.
              I don't need that many patches, I just like to support the site and the great people who work in the background to keep this site what it is.

TC .. which patches is it that you have left overs of?

Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                Well I must say that I am somewhat disappointed that the patch with the added detail will not be available but I will buy 2 or 3 of the patch that becomes available when it is available. I would for that matter buy 2 or 3 of both.
                I don't need that many patches, I just like to support the site and the great people who work in the background to keep this site what it is.

TC .. which patches is it that you have left overs of?

Rob
                +1 !
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I know this may be a little late...

Why don't each of you make a 30yr patch for each year of XS?

Use the first one for '78, the next for '79, etc.

After all, ALL of our XS's will be 30 soon...
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Man you guys sure did rock the boat
                    Yeah, but we kept it civil.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

civil as in civil war

LOL...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I want every one to think this over and decide which patch should be made, But just so you also know that I do know what I'm talking about when I say some of the detail will be lost. This was our first design
                        and it was recommended against because of the detail .[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh177/madbiker7/Patch08.jpg[/IMG
                        Ralph]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I would be intersted in a couple.

I think crazcnuk has a good idea.
                            Anybody intersted in designing a 81H. Ya the one with the bug sheild. I am intersted in a few (2-4). Can't support a whole line of them just showing intrest.
                            Dad's always wearing his GUZZI apparel. I've got nothing.
                            Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

It's a great idea...

unfortunately, also very costly for the patches...
                              It would be around $200 for each patch design... gets pretty costly and not everyone will buy each year's patch... so someone (or someones... yeah, I know... bad grammar) will lose money...

unless... someone has a really good connection to an embroidery machine owner...
                              81 SH Something Special
                              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

I do not want to get in the middle of this whole anniv. patch thing here.

So, on the 81H issue, one thought is to do an 81H Anniv. patch in 2011. Until then perhaps we can come up with a standard patch for us 81H lovers in the near future. I'll put it in my bailiwick and see what happens.

Cheers
                                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                                The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
                                X