Hopefully not too longwinded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully not too longwinded

First a big THANK YOU! to everyone who's posted on this board and especially the entire tech section and whoever has been responsible for assembling such a wealth of knowledge.
    Sure made my latest project alot easier to troubleshoot and put into riding condition.
    As Ive posted before in here I owned a brand new XS in 1979, loved that bike. Recently purchased a 81 SH this past December that had been neglected the past couple years however was all intact, low mileage and basically in decent shape however not running. I dont know exactly how many times I went through the carbs, boots, fuel lines to get it running right but its 100% now.
    Worse was cleaning out the 22 year old brake fluid in the system redoing all the calipers and master cylinders and countless hours of cleaning the bike. I started at the rear working forwards, greasing, cleaning and inspecting as I went. All the normal stuff, driveline, wheelbearings etc.
    Got to put around 300 miles on it Sunday and Monday of allout hammering on it to make sure it was right and if it was going to break I want it to break now before we get into the cosmetics, paint and such. Once again, the bike is running flawless i couldnt be more pleased with it, now for paint and steering head bearings.
    The handlebars must go! Nope cant take them buckhorn things much more than an hour without the wrists getting to hurt so their coming off VERY shortly. I have a set off an old SilverWing I think will work nicely. Once again Thanks to everyone whos ever posted here.
    I learned of Merriam Cycle from this site. I did not realize the place existed and I pass within 3 miles of it every two weeks on my commute to work. I stopped there this morning. The pictures on their website dont do justice to their motorcycles, not to mention their hospitality and eagerness to share information and ideas. This is not a commercial. Im just that impressed, and after riding motorcycles for over 25 years and 200k miles this is a step back to the 70's where a motorcycle shop is exactly that! Not what they have evolved into a nice place to get a 4wheeler and pay someone 60 bucks an hour to LEARN on your bike because they seldom see something with 2 wheels and your bike is dang sure older than the one thats going to be attempting to wrench on it. (can ya tell I really love big dealers?)
    This place truly is XS11 Heaven.
    oh well.... Im outta wind now.
    Thanks again everybody!
    J
    captjerry
    86 GL1200A
    81 GL500
    81 XS1100 SH

Glad we could help! All the Tech Tips are written by owners like you and me, if you or anyone else wants to submit a tech article please send it to me or one of the other moderators.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
    X