First Ride!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ride!!

WOOOOHOOOO... the project has finaly made it to the road! I took her out for the first spin around the block tonight after working all afternoon putting it all back together.

Of course it was raining, cold, the bikes not registered and has no insurance (you'd never guess I work for an insurance company). Hey I had my helmet on at least.

I still have 15 year old tires so I didn't get on it, much still...It was awesome!!

The first trip around it was mis firing a bit but by the second loop it was much better. I'm hoping it gets better as I go.

This is the bikes first trip under it own power in 15 years.

The oil light stays on but it has plenty of oil, so I will just keep my eye on it for now.

So now off come the wheels so it can get new tires!

I know I wasn't going fast but I thought it handled pretty well, especially compaired to my Goldwing (for sale by the way).

I never thought I would be this excited about a 2 mile ride.
    1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
    1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
    1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

my first ride on the 11 was less than that. I am certain that I will always remember. As a side note to you, my I got mine in Cottonwood
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

popped that cherry huh?
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Fun huh?

You'll be hauling balls in no time. Soon as you get it to show you it's 'sweet spot' you'll understand our addiction..
        Automotive Imbecile.
        Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
        '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Oil light can be a burned bulb in the tail light. It's a "dual use" idiot light...
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray, I didn't know that. I will check it out.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Oil Light,
              Can also be a chaffed wire near the pressure sensor, or a damaged or even just stuck sensor! Take the wire OFF of the sensor and see IF the light goes OUT!? IF so, then the sensor is either stuck or broken. You can take it off and squirt some carb cleaner in there to loosen up the pressure piston that makes contact internally that grounds the wire to the engine case completing the circuit and lighting the light!

But, if the light doesn't go out when you pull the wire, then possible chaffed somewhere, or like Ray said, brake light bulb!

But, just because it has oil doesn't mean it's pumping! The oil pumps are very durable, but folks have broken the drive sprocket by misaligning the clutch basket!

With the sensor OFF, you can tap the starter, or bump the kick starter if you have one, so see using a glass/plastic cup over the HOLE, or put a hose in it, something to catch the oil, and just make sure oil squirts up out of that hole!
              Good Luck, and enjoy!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The brake and tail light are working sooo...
                That now leads me to another question about something I noticed.

When parked with the engine off the oil level is full, when running and on the center stand the oil level drops to the low line or a little below. I would think that is normal as the system is using the oil.

Sometimes the light flickers a bit, goes off, comes back on, kinda looks like it wants to come on, will go off and on depending on which way I lean the bike so you may be on to something with the sensor. I'll check it out like you prescribed TC and see what happens.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

If the level is as it should be when the engine is not running with the bike on the main stand you should be in good shape. If the oil pressure light is flickering it may be an electoral issue.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

So I took the wire off like TC suggested and the light went out. So with the sensor removed I bumped the starter a few times. Ok one to many times, the bike starts and I have an oil well.

Obviously I should have listened to the cover the hole with a cup or a hose or something.. Anyway the pump appears to be working pretty good.

I'll give the sensor a good shot of cleaner tomorrow and if that doesn't work will replace the sensor.

It makes sense that the sensor would be stuck after sitting for so long.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

You also need to check the light checker unit to make sure you have good wire connections and the front and rear brake light switches.
                      Not to long ago my oil/brake light came and would no go out, found out I had a bad light checker unit. If the oil/brake light flickers on and off but does not stay on check the brake light switches making sure they are working properly.
                      Do'Lee
                      XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                      (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                      (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                      (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                      SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Working...
                      X