"Figger'd I'd pass this along."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Figger'd I'd pass this along."

I don't feel that I'm important enough to need to have a phone with me at all times.
    (My heart goes out to all those "Assimilated Borgs" who have them surgically implanted on the side's of their heads)
    Be that as it may... this info may be of use to some people. (as I do carry one of my brother's old phones in a saddle bag when travelling)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Cell Phones for Emergency 911 Use
    Many people buy cell phones to keep in the car for "emergency use only." They often pay rates such as $15/month and $50 sign-up fees. These fees are NOT necessary.

You can use a used cell phone to call 911 without paying anything at all. Cell phones are regulated by the FCC. FCC requirements state that ALL cell phones, regardless of status of service (or even the lack of service) must be able to dial 911. Whether you have a telephone number or not, whether you have signed up for service or not, your cell phone can connect to 911.

There are two kinds of cell phones: analog (the old, thick cell phones) and digital (the slim phones.) Analog phones are out of fashion because the signal wasn't very clear. But they still work. You can buy an old analog phone for $5 or less at yard sales or the small shops that sell cell phones and pagers. Insist on buying it without service. Be sure to get a cigarette-lighter adapter cord with it (you can buy these at any cell phone store, Target, Walmart, etc.) You can also buy emergency cell phones without service at EmergencyCellPhones.com or eBay.com. Used digital phones sell for less than $15.

In many areas, you can place other calls as well. Test this by dialing a friend's number and see what happens. You may get an operator who will offer to place the call for you and bill your credit card. The call may cost up to $3 per minute, but that's cheaper than paying $15/month for years. You can use this if you have a flat tire and so on.

In some areas, when you press 0 (zero) or dial a number, an operator will answer and ask if you want to charge the call to your credit card. Just use your credit card to place the call. You can also have the phone reprogrammed. Reprogramming enables the cell phone to make credit card calls. EmergencyCellPhones.com can reprogram phones for about $30 (I have no connection to them).

Keep your emergency phone in your car under the seat or the trunk (but not in the glove compartment, where things are often stolen.) You don't need to recharge it or keep it charged. Just plug the phone into your car's cigarette lighter, turn it on, dial 911, and it will work.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

What that doesn't tell you is that the national analog network is being shut down in February. A lot of people are going to be affected by it. It will work great until then!

BTW, I hate those damn cranial attachments as well. What bugs me the most is the fact that they are putting a source of microwave energy within an inch of their brain. Granted, it's a very low powered one, but still...long term exposure to that just can't be healthy. Oh well, to each his own. (demise, that is )

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...k-to-shut-down
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Not liking cell phones myself, but needing one for work, I have settled on the Trac Phone. you can buy the phone most anywhere and then activate it when you need it or buy a one year card once a year. There's no sign up fee or contract and because they rent tower space from other companies you have very few dead spots.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

The best cell phones are the ones provided by the company you work for. Better yet,, The ones with the walki-talki feature. We had those and they were great. But, then some nut got a bright idea and decided that it would be better for the people working in the field ( myself ) to have a regular cell phone without the touch to talk feature. Can't complain about the price though. Still provided by the company.
        Wish they would bring back the touch to talk feature though. As JW said. Radiation next to the brain. ....MMMMMM Yuummiee
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I have a friend (no really!) and his wife that sit next to me at the hockey games - everytime i point my remote car starter in the general direction of my vehicle as the game is ending she makes a big deal about leaning forwards or backwards to avoid 'the brain frying radiation' lmao
          I tried to explain to her once that every second of every day all types of EMR are passing through her entire body but I got that glazed look in her eyes that SWMBO gets when I try to explain something technical. Still - she is Ginger!
          So now to respect her wishes and personal space - I try to stick the remote in her ear when starting my car.
          Si Parker
          '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Company phone

The trouble with having a company phone is they expect you to answer it, if you supply your own, you only have to answer it when you want, They have a habit of wanting to call me off jobs worth $400. to do a job worth $60. and I'm trying to break them of that.
            Fastmover
            "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

I to, am not a fan of cell phones bu the job requires it and pays for it. They do offer some sence of security when on the road. I use Tracfone also. Paid $15 for it at Walmart and this unit came with free double minutes for life! My wife also has one. Some months I can sail thru 2-300 minutes in a heartbeat, but it ain't my nickle. She can go months on a hundred minutes as long as the oldest daughter dosen't call often. The 17 year old has Cricket, flat monthly charge for our "calling area' which covers 'bout 150 miles in any direction. This works really well 'cause she can rack up over 1000 minutes in a month. With the choice of cheap, prepaid phones available, there is little excuse not to have one 'cept for those that hate em. This hatred evaporates when you can reach under the seat or in the saddle bag and summon help. This last summer, mine saved me a $300 tow bill when a $13 relay turned my 300hp I/O into a 700lb lump of steel in my boat. Quick scroll thru my phone book located a buddy already on the lake. He thankfully towed my back to the dock and drank all my beverages while doing it. Small price to pay.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Necessary evil

Owning a service business means a cell phone is necessary, paid for by the company and SWMBO's too. AT&T with rollover minutes, more than I could ever use, free long distance anywhere in the US, and small connection fees for foreign countries. I have had to call places like England, Germany and Switzerland and the only charge was $.85 connection charge. Costs my company about $75/mo.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...