ATGATT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATGATT?

While I haven't been a member here more than a few months ..I have not really seen anyone comment on the type and quanity of riding gear they wear.Since I belong to a couple of other M/C forums,there is always some discussion of how ATGATT has saved their butts...big time.So my question is do you believe in All The Gear All The Time?...I'll start .....For many years I gave absolutely NO thought to wearing anything remotely for safety reasons other
    than a helmet....my Cop Top half helmet..not really safe...Then last Summer I bought a Honda ST1100...a much bigger and heavier machine than the XS/XJs are.While on a forum for the ST1100/1300,I began reading many posts abt how many ppl who were having accidents were saved big time because they were wearing the proper gear.In my brief 31 yrs of riding I have only had one time where I laid a bike down..and that was in a parking lot when i was learning to ride many yrs ago...so now that I am not getting any younger I have become a ATGATT proponent.I no longer wear 1/2 or 3/4 helmets...I have a 2 full face helmets....I have proper riding clothes...jackets,riding pants,leather boots,and gloves and most of all my jackets are BRIGHT LIME YELLOW...like you cant miss that...I have modified a phrase....Loud Colors Save Lives !
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

"Loud Colors Save Lives !"

Full helmets save teeth (and lower jaws)
    Fell once, and am now a firm believer.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Head to toe all the time
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

It only takes one time...

Like i said...in 31 riding seasons I have been extremely fortunate to have never had an accident or been down ...so i have decided I'll not tempt fate any further...besides now that i am older ...I can afford to buy this stuff...this is no place to be cheap..so to say...not saying anyone is...just as it applies to me... the only problem I can see with having ATGATT is how much time it takes to put it all on...LOL
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I wear some type of helmet, jacket and boots all the time but I'm no gear nazi for sure. Considering 4,881 pedestrians died in 2005 and a lesser 4,553 motorcyclists died in 2005 (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...le_deaths.html) we should probably be wearing ATGATT when walking across the street. Or at least wearing helmets in cars not equipped with air bags. Think of all the lives that would be saved if we wore helmets in cars.

Damn, lookin at this study http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5110a1.htm between the years 89 and 98 the average annuual deaths due to falling on your head was 5328!! That's just falling down. ****, I'm going to put my helmet on right now!!
          79 XS11 special

Comment

Actually, this topic was the subject of a poll a while back. Check it out here

Ken Talbot

Comment

I decided on always wearing gear as a cost issue more than anything. I looked at the hospital bills for a trip in the ambulance because of road rash and decided my pittance of a health insurance plan as a college student should be protected with some good leather. If an impact is going to kill you likely the gear won't do a lot, but I certainly believe it'll save time, money and misery in recovery.
              Looking for an XS

79 XS1100SF (RIP)
              - stock standard headers(stupid PO), slip-on after-market mufflers.
              - after-market rear shocks (PO installed)
              - no airbox, POD filters

Misery remembered is ADVENTURE!

Comment

When I started riding a few months ago SWMBO had two requirements...
                Full Face helmet, apparently she likes my face as is
                Armored Jacket, she must like my shoulders, elbows and back as well.

I always wear these two plus gloves and usually boots.

So put me on the side of gear up!
                1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
                1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
                1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Working...
                X