Tank stripping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank stripping.

Took my tank to a rad shop where they threw it in the biol tank for two days for me.

Good news: It;s sparkling clean inside and all traces of dirt grime and oil are removed.

Bad news (ish): I tdidn't even touch the paint that I was hoping it would strip!

Two qus:
    1. What is the best method to strip the paint back to the bare metal to start over.
    2. The rad shop guy said I should yake it back to him when I've stripped and he'll chuck it in the tank again to give it a good clean and then he'll "coat" it inside, so that down the line it'll never rust again - anyone any experience with this?
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

The nastiest, most vile paint stripper in the world is called "Aircraft Stripper". Its a common item in auto parts stores at this end of the world. You (or we) can get it in spray or gallon cans. "It'lle take the chrome offa trailer hitch" to coin the phrase. Will dissolve skin, plastic. paper and most likely some non ferrous metals . Spray/brush it on want watch the hardest of paint wrinkle in agony. Rinse, lather, repeat as necessary. Just remember, you are going right down to bare metal, which will start rusting right away. Give it a quick shot of primer or at least a wipe down with WD40 till you are ready to paint. DO NOT use on plastic side covers or tail pieces or you will have have a soft mass of plastic where your treasured parts were.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

zip strip

I've used Zip-strip a few times ,it can be a bit messy and you may have to do two coats, one for the clear coat and one for the paint and make sure you clean the tank real good when your done or the new paint may not stick.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

cool
        Si Parker
        '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

You can use the air craft paint stripper. But for a lot less money you can go to Ace hardware and get some plain paint stripper. Just brush it on and wait a couple minutes then scrape it off.

Get that shop to reline that tank for you. If it's anything like the stuff they use here it's better then kreme. It is thicker then kreme as well. The radiator shop here gives a twenty year guarantee. And the liner they use is a red color. May be the same there.
          I have 3 tanks done with no problems. Guess time will tell.

Good Luck!
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Anyone with a sand blaster could have it done in about 15 minutes. Nice clean bare metal when done. You'd still need to rinse it down, but no oily residue.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own