The first snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first snow

Well here in NY it snowed for the first time this weekend. I have some great pictures. Saturday morning, I went on a tour of the NY waterfront on the academies own personal mini destroyer we like to call it. Actually it is an old Naval Academy yp boat that was Modified electronically and given to the Merchant Marine Academy. We painted the hull blue and renamed it the Liberator. I think there was at most 10 on board this 108 ft vessel. Well to make a long story short, we finished our waterfront tour and docked on pier 15 on the East River (Manhattan Side) between the two tall ships in restoration. We spent the rest of the evening touring the city and "relaxing" that night. When we got up the ship was covered in 3 inches of snow. Pretty sweet! (except for those guys handling the lines with no gloves) Lucky me, I was at the helm most of the time. Sunday(today) most everyone took the train home and a few of us were left to take the ship back. How cool is it to have your own personal 108' mini destroyer to play around with on the weekends. The director of the waterfront (guy in charge of this whole operation) is friends with a bunch of museum directors. He has the tall ships over at the academy all the time. At the pier, we got a private tour of one of the tall ships we were docked by. One of the best parts about it was that I just got two "sea days" to go out and have a good time. I will get some photos soon, I can't get on my photo bucket account right now.
    Peace Out
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

I suppose you don't wanna hear about our 88 degree day yesterday.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Great Photo's !!!
        It sounds as if you're getting as much out of this as possible. Keep up with the studies, and the riding will come back after the first mile or two.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

We got our first snow storm overnight and through the day. So we now have about 10 inches on top of what we already had :-(
          I HATE winter .. it's only good for drinking and making babies lol lol
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

They actually let you drive the boat? I guess they haven't seen you on a bike! We had our first snow on Thanksgiving Day. Were you here for it? I heard you were.

Comment

Yeah, Actually I was at the helm all day saturday. They just told me where they wanted to go. I was home during Thanksgiving for a little while. Well, just long enough to get pulled over for speeding. Thanksgiving day I was down in hill country at my aunt's house. flights were packed so I had to go back early. I will be home in a bit for Chrismass. I will stop by when I get back. Iv'e got lots of stories to tell.
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

snow or no snow

Hobbyman,
                Thanks for picks & update. I see you are Still "Cruising". Glad to see you have fun. No snow, just frost so far here.

Brent in Ga
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

It snowed this afternoon again. It is supposed to snow tomorrow as well. It isn't sticking any more. Its not the snow that bothers me, it is the WIND! We are having gusts to 50. The Long Island sound has been full of big chop. WHen we are walking to class, the wind practically pushes you over. I am definitally glad I am A-split which means I will be at sea during the winter. I will be in the engine room. One thing is for sure, I am glas I am not still riding my bike in the snow. That's painfull after a while.
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                  X