Painting 1978E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting 1978E

I was able to get the tank re-painted and it looks good. Used duplicolor red over duplicolor etching primer. I took 3 colors home and my wife picked the near matching red-maroon. Now I will let it dry for a couple of weeks.Now a question: do I use red wax before I put the clear coat on or after? I was told by Checkers Auto to clear coat first then red wax. Thanks.

I took the time to sand, prime and paint my old helmet. It is a nice match. deltysdal@aol.com

let it dry for a couple of weeks
    Might want to check with the paint manufaturer.
    You may need to sand before applying the clear coat waiting so long. Also... "wax on" before clear coat?
    Not a good idea.

mro

Comment

DO not wax or allow the paint to become contaminated before the clear coat is applied. sanding with very fine paper is usually required before the clear coat is applied. The sanding must be dome with care using very very fine paper. Follow the clear coat paint manufacturer's instructions for application.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Using paint from a spray can like you are you better check with the manufacturer. When using auto paint you never sand the base coat before clearing over it. Also most manufaturer's want you to clear coat within 24hrs for proper adhiesion, although a lot of times, as in custom painted motorcycle tanks where after the base is applied they're sent off for striping and then returned for clear, that rule is violated with no problems.
        If you sand the base with anything harsher than 1000 grit (and maybe even with 1000) you will see the sanding scratches in the clear. If your base coat looks good just wipe it down with some oil/grease remover, let it dry well and clear it.
        Last edited by showtime; 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM.
        xs eleven #3 -'78,'79, and now an '80

Comment

Working...
        X