Thank U e-Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank U e-Bay

As much as we all like to BASH e-Bay because of some of its sellers or buyers I must say Thank god for e-Bay. With some of the 1100 models turning 30 years old in 2008 the factory distributor's must be clearing out dead stock. It the last month I have seen a healthy increase in the offering of NOS parts for our bikes. Some of the offered parts are truly rare.
    I have managed to buy up every thing I need to make my restore bike 100% stock and about 95% MINT. I got every part that I needed to finish this project at less then what it would cost from dealers and discount dealers and many of the parts are not even available anymore.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

You hit the nail on the head Rob.

I wonder how many XS's are on the road today because of the ease of finding spares. You can now search the world for that missing or broken piece from the comfort of your home instead of trying to find it in a junkyard.

That said, I've spent many a Saturday wondering throught junkyards as a teen
    amazed at the stuff that had been discarded. At the time I could only afford to look but it was cheap entertainment.

"Hey, look at this old........................"

Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

I don't know if Yamaha sold a lot of these compared to other bikes at the time, but yeah, the parts are more readily available than others. My buddy has the same year bike as mine ('82) but it's the Kawasaki 1100 Spectre. We've been looking for about 6 months on Ebay to find a motor that doesn't cost more than the bike is worth.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
        I don't know if Yamaha sold a lot of these compared to other bikes at the time, but yeah, the parts are more readily available than others. My buddy has the same year bike as mine ('82) but it's the Kawasaki 1100 Spectre. We've been looking for about 6 months on Ebay to find a motor that doesn't cost more than the bike is worth.

Tod
        I would hazard to guess that Yamaha sold a lot more of the special models from 79 forward. Lucky for us lads with the standard model that except for body trim many of the parts are interchangeable.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Re: Thank U e-Bay

Originally posted by 79XS11F

I have managed to buy up every thing I need

I agree totally!! Between my27 year old bike and my 32 year old truck, Ebay has been a wealth of parts. The SWMBO dosen't see it in the same light, she has threatened to put "parental controls" on our computer to regulate my often expensive "shopping trips" to Ebay. She fails to understand my excitement over finding NOS lever covers or a set of NOS fender flares!!

When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
          X