clock radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clock radio

Anyone bought a clock radio lately that still had the ability to play the music for a while then sound the buzzer? I am on a quest to get one as a Christmas present for my mother. Her old on has crapped out an all she can find either play the radio or sound the buzzer. She doesn't need all the fancy ipod docking, mp3 playing, time projecting bells and whistles just a plane jane. She wears a c-pap sleeping machine and doesn't like to get woke up abruptly. Any ideas or brands or stores to try would be appreciated.

Regards

I have no idea but - - -

- - - many years ago, we were given a "Teasmade". This was an alarm clock device that had an electric kettle and a teapot on a rocking platform. A little before the wake-up time you'd set it at, a relay closed to start the kettle. When the kettle boiled the steam pressure transferred the boiling water over a feed tube into the teapot to start the tea brewing (provided you'd remembered to put the tea bags in the pot) and the weight transfer as the water moved from the kettle to the teapot made the rocking platform move like a see-saw which closed a contact which turned on the light and started the buzzer.
    In theory, the alarm buzzer woke you up and your morning tea was already made.
    In fact, the initial click of the relay almost woke you up and you laid there half asleep as the kettle's hissing got louder and louder until
    CLICK! BUZZZZZZ! GLARE!
    You are practically blown out of bed by the commotion.
    We used it once and gave it to my parents. Dad wouldn't use it as he claimed it didn't warm the pot first and so couldn't make good tea. Mum hid her pension money in it's teapot after that.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Wal Mart carries a clock radio with two alarm settings on it. She would have to set "alarm 1" for 6:00 AM with the radio, "alarm 2" for 6:10 AM with the buzzer. I believe the model with the CD player had the same features.....Hey there's a thought....Burn a CD with some audio of an XS1100 on a ride....nope, nevermind, I'd just get a big grin on my face and go back to sleep!

Emerson Model# CKS 1855...Wow...I might get one of these for myself
      Last edited by FL4x4offroad; 12-02-2007, 07:37 PM.
      Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

79 SF, 82 MNS (parts bike) XJ650 (don't know yet)

Comment

i use a dual alarm with a cd myself. i did have the thought to burn some music then add a subtle buzzer that gets louder and louder. However since I am 500 miles away I need the Kiss rule of alarm clocks (keep it simple.)

I also thought about one of the new clocks that lights up brighter as the alarm goes off.

Comment

I hate to say it but the walmart model works ok. It was about $10 or so when I got mine. It fell from 5 ft on to a concrete floor and it still works fine. It has two alarms. you can set the individual alarms to go off on only the week, weekend, or both. It is self setting which is nice. The power goes off a lot up here or I move and I have never had to set it. It tells the day of the week as well. You can set the individual alarms to play the radio or buzz.
          clock
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
          X