No announcement yet.

Checking back in after many years away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking back in after many years away!

Well hello folks - I don't know how many of you might remember my from back in 2000-2001, I was pretty active back then, under the name MikeEd. That was before we went to this forum software, back when we were on Yahoo Groups. I've got some photos in the Pictures page, Here.

I remember Ken Talbot well, and Sid Clarke, Denny Zander, MikeHart, Dave Hogue, sixtysix, Phill Ward, "Indy" Rick, JP Honeywell... it's been a long time, and I've forgotten a bunch of folks.

Anyway, I started with one 78E that I bought from my barber, quickly realized I needed a new carb (frozen pilot jet), and bought a bank of four from Lurch, and ended up buying a whole bike from him, minus the front end. Then I found two more bikes sitting in a dusty parking lot, one with a ruined motor (rod through the block). All told, ended up with three frames, three motors, and a whole slew of parts.

On mine, I stripped the entire motor apart and powdercoated everything; block, frame, shocks, fork brace, brakes... Came to find out upon reassembly that the bead blasters had gotten into the cylinders, and there was no compression. About that time, I moved out of state and haven't looked at the bikes since then.

Just recently, a buddy was asking if I knew anyone with a bike he could buy cheap, and I said yessir! So starting soon, we're going to get together and resuscitate a couple of them. Mine needs a big bore kit, and the cylinders honed (and a LOT of cleaning, and who knows what else, but it was all golden at that time, apart from the cylinders). The one I'm giving to him is probably really close to ready, just need to part it together.

I'll probably be asking some refresher questions as they come up, as I've forgotten a lot of what I once knew...

Until then, take care everybody, and it's good to be back!

Mike

One of the things I did back then was come up with a way to remove the plasic emblems, and replace them with vinyl. I scanned the emblems, converted them to .eps, cleaned up the lines, and took them into the local sign shop. Not too expensive when you do a sheet at a time.

Here's some shots of the results:

And a few shots of the process:

Comment

quality really xsites me.
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!! Welcome back.........excellent work on the bike and some great pictures..you have an eye for detail.
        '80 XS1100 SG
        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Thanks fellas!

I spent an hour or so looking through old photos from the time, and crikey! it's amazing how much I've forgotten... I have a whole set of pics I took when I did the second gear fix (I took the photos, planning on doing a write-up that I never did), and I couldn't even remember what the second gear fix was meant to fix!

It's neat to see how into something I was, and it almost seems like starting over from scratch, looking at it now. I'm sure it'll come back to me when I get going on it, but man it's a lot of good stuff I've forgotten!

Here's a few more pics. First, the way I bought it (except after having the seat re-upholstered, and after cleaning it up, etc.):

Next stage; Jardines, trying a little fairing, different seat, and some rattle-can paint:

Then a few more things; K&N carb filters, new paint (acrylic enamel this time), and the vinyl emblems, and new rear signals:

Even took a broken cowling from my roommate's pocketbike (from the trash, actually ) patched it up, and made it fit on there... for a while anyway

I'm getting excited again!

Comment

yes i always admired that perticular picture of that bike in that page , now it has a voice.
            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
              I have a whole set of pics I took when I did the second gear fix (I took the photos, planning on doing a write-up that I never did),
              Not to worry, Mike, I think we've got the second gear fix covered.

Good to see you back!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks Ken! In fact I think that's one reason I never wrote anything up - your coverage of it wasn't missing anything.

It was just funny to me that I had done it all and these years later I couldn't remember what it was meant to fix! But then it all came bak as I was looking at the pics (well, some of it came back )

Comment

Oh, man - the sad state of affairs:

Comment

SAD!!!?

Looks like heaven to me

On the decals, did you clear over them? The decal route is very much what I intend to do when the day comes around. Except I just want the 3TF's on the tank and I haven't yet decided what to put on the covers.
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
                      SAD!!!?

Looks like heaven to me
                      Lol! Yeah, just dust for the most part, but I'm afraid the case on my keeper has been open (without the cylinders on the block...) and it's gotta come apart and get a good cleaning to be safe.

On the decals, did you clear over them? The decal route is very much what I intend to do when the day comes around. Except I just want the 3TF's on the tank and I haven't yet decided what to put on the covers.
                      Yessir, it's just Acrylic Enamel clear over the top. I used PPG Omni two-stage (with catalyst) and a Binks gun. I never had any trouble at all with blistering or peeling. I did most of the paint in the Arizona summer heat, so it cured pretty fast; and after applying the vinyl I'd just rinse it well, wipe up, then let it set up overnight. After that, a thin first coat of clear, let it cure well, then a cover coat or two (or three... ). I may have some tuning forks already in .eps - I'll look and see...

Comment

Working...
                      X