Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs

There has been some discusion about new type spark plugs.
    Was wondering if you've tried any and what results if any did you notice compared to regular class NG or Champions.

Some I've been looking at that will fit the XS1100:
    Splitfire Platinum spark plug TP6C TP6C .032" $5.99
    Splitfire Spark plug SF426C SF426C .032" $3.99
    NGK IX iridium 6637 BPR6EIX $7.32
    Denso Iridium plug 5306 IW20 0.032 $11.99
    Denso Single platinum 3291 W20EPRZU 0.032 $6.09

Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion, Platinum+4 (did not find part #'s for the XS)

Only experience I've had was putting a splitfire in a 15HP outboard motor and only thing noticeable was a little smoother idle.

mro

I think the splitfires are a joke. They make it seem like you're going to get a dual spark. Twice the spark has to be good, right? Only electricity is like water. It is just going to take the easiest route out. It may swap tips.. whichever is easiest at the time, but you still get just one spark. I think your motor idling smoother was simply that it had new plugs?? Many write-ups saying they aren't worth the extra money, and some saying you actually lose performance from them. But those are opinions... everyone has got them.

Oh.... and no, I haven't tried anything except the NGK plug. I have recently been using the resistor version though.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The thin-wire Iridium plugs seem to spark more easily and don't foul. I tried them on a Virago with a variety of electrical and carb issues when the standard plugs wouldn't spark or fouled out. I think I'll invest in them next time for the XS for easier starts and better low voltage operation.
      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I am using some Bosch Platinum +4's. I didn't notice much difference in my XS, but they make a very noticeable difference in my other vehicles.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Iridiums ok by me

I used the NGK Iridiums 6637 this summer and enjoyed quicker starts with out the need for the choke . We are lucky to get them on sale for $10 each .
          XJ1100K
          Avon rubber
          MikesXS black coils
          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
          MikesXS front master
          Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
          Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
          Progressive fork springs
          CIBIE headlight reflector
          YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...