no info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no info

i will post my disclaimer as usuasl..i have no owners manual or repaiir manual. all i need to know at this point is what is the spark plug gap for a 1980 xs 1100. i've got the plugs butthe gap seems awful small. any info apprec,
    redbone
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

The book says .7-.8mm or .028-.031"
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

As trbig said.
      Also, as rough rule of thumb. Every engine that takes a spark plug will run with a gap of .035. ( the thickness of a matchbook cover ) Good info for if your on the road and you have to pull a plug or 2 and one drops on the ground closing the gap.
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

plugs

thanx for tthe info...they were pretty much dead on the gap rite from the box. put them in and it runs way better now. still many headaches to fix, so you'll hear from me again.
        redbone
        testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

A rougher rule of thumb

Is to shove your thumbnail into the gap.
          Unless you are a nailbiter, that gauge is always with you. If your thumbnail goes in, the gap is more than 0.020" If it don't rattle in the gap it's less than 0.040"
          Any distance in there will work because sparkplugs ain't fussy. If you can see a fat blue spark at the plug and the motor don't run, most likely it ain't the plug that's doing it.
          Except, once for me, it was. Bastards had maybe a thousand miles on them. Swapped them out for identical new ones, albeit from a different store, and the engine ran perfectly.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you can see a fat blue spark at the plug and the motor don't run, most likely it ain't the plug that's doing it.
            Yep! agree there, but just now and then you'll get a good spark when checking with the plug resting on the head but when inside under pressure and fuel no spark I had this problem and it was the coil.

As Fred says, most likely

Recently (last few years) I've noticed problems with NGK's, stick new plugs in, fire engine up for short time to try it and it runs great, come back to it and it won't run good.

They seem to need to be run for a long time and got bloody good and hot, as if you're kinda curing them, then they're Ok.

Anyone else had this problem?
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TomB

Recently (last few years) I've noticed problems with NGK's, stick new plugs in, fire engine up for short time to try it and it runs great, come back to it and it won't run good.

They seem to need to be run for a long time and got bloody good and hot, as if you're kinda curing them, then they're Ok.

Anyone else had this problem?
              I have. I have nicknamed it "flameout". Dosen't seem to follow any pattern, new, old, in town, outa town. Had gone to Bosch plugs then found Autolites like my XS much better. I know plugs should be plugs but I hafta go with what works. If you want some interesting reading, go to Bosch's site and read about Bosch platniums and the problem with useing them in a "wasted spark" ign system. I thought it was bunk till I tried to run them in my 3.8 Olds and had to change em back out because of constant misfire.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I've only ever had it on new NGK's

Once they are 'cured' they seem fine.

I've got to the stage when I put new plugs in I push the bike out to the road, put all my riding gear on, sit on the bike pointing in the direction I want to go, start the engine and go straight away.

It has stopped me having new plugs fail.
                Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

break in for spark plugs

Never thought of it before. Thanks

Originally posted by TomB
                  I've only ever had it on new NGK's

Once they are 'cured' they seem fine.

I've got to the stage when I put new plugs in I push the bike out to the road, put all my riding gear on, sit on the bike pointing in the direction I want to go, start the engine and go straight away.

It has stopped me having new plugs fail.
                  It is a great big beautiful world out there
                  Brent in GA
                  Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

New Spark plugs from F.O.P.

Enhaned spark, always provides complete combustion even if running lean or rich fuel mixture. Takes the guess work out of tuning the carbs pilot needles. Will increase fuel economy over 30 percent and on the average increases HP near 10 percent (due to complete fuel burn) The new dilithium spark plugs will be the last set you would ever have to buy. Money back life time guaranty not to fail.

mro
                    BTW,
                    warp speed is not legal with in 2 AU of earth

Comment

The new dilithium spark plugs will be the last set

Congratulations mro,
                      while any fool with a dowsing rod & crystal ball can go to Asia Minor and salvage the remains of Noah's Ark, you and you alone have time-shifted to the crash site of the Starship Enterprise and discovered it's warp core.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Break-in for plugs? Am I on candid camera?

Never heard of such a thing as break-in for spark plugs! A very common cause of 'flame-out' or no spark under compression, is a fouled plug.

Comment

What is

F. O. P. ?

I'm looking for some new plugs and your numbers sound too good to be true..... I would be willing to pay pretty good price for such things if they are really true.
                          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                          Drilled airbox
                          Tkat fork brace
                          Hardly mufflers
                          late model carbs
                          Newer style fuses
                          Oil pressure guage
                          Custom security system
                          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

What is
                            F. O. P. ?
                            Federation of Planets...

mro
                            Quote of the thread.
                            "One born every day" W.C. Fields

Comment

Video footage from inside of internal combustion engine:
                              http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=73e_1192001762

It's ok Dick, those spark plugs are free! There is no money in the future- well the future that mro speaks of anyway.

Quote:
                              break-in for spark plugs!

Now that's funny!
                              How bout Break-in for oil too.

Comment

Working...
                              X