This was cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was cool

We were watching this bright spot on the way home, something similar to a fire rainbow, but with mainly silver and gold rather than the regular rainbow colors.

By the time we got home, one of our daughters pointed out a rainbow, which became two... then a third... by the time it was done, there were at least 7 of these rainbows(Circumzenithal arcs?), some were almost 3/4 of a circle.

I was even able to get most of them on video... I'd never seen anything like this before.
    VERY cool!
    Last edited by John; 11-06-2007, 07:44 PM.
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Hey Kat,

Check out This Link for more info about SUNDOGS! . Yeah, really cool , like Ice Crystals Cool!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That is cool, I wonder where these ice crystals come from, so far south, this early in the fall?
      I have never seen that before.

Comment

Cirrus clouds

are made up of ice crystals and we actually get them quite a bit around here... no matter how warm it gets down here... it's always pretty dang chilly up there.
        I've seen the sundogs a few times before, though I never knew what they were called until today... but I'd never seen the arcs like this before. I wish my picture was as vivid as the actual arcs...

Thanks for the link TC... after I found out what they were called I was able to find quite a bit of information on them. John was telling some people about them at our son's cub scout meeting and an older gentleman there called them sundogs... I'd heard of the fire rainbows before... but never the word sundogs.
        Thanks again (I KNEW you'd know what they were)
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by GNEPIG
          That is cool, I wonder where these ice crystals come from, so far south, this early in the fall?
          I have never seen that before.
          Global warming........nah, must be the Russians.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

Check out This Link for more info about SUNDOGS! . Yeah, really cool , like Ice Crystals Cool!
            T.C.
            Great link, T.C.! I quite often see (now that I know what they're called) Sundogs and Halo's in this area. The strange thing, I suppose, is that I don't really recall seeing these phenomena prior to the last 5 years or so . Or, maybe I just wasn't looking .
            1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
            1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
            1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
            1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
            2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Working...
            X