No announcement yet.

*%&), #!(*, and %*#!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no they are not making compression, but if they are leaving too much oil on the cyl , the compression rings are going to have a hard time controlling the oil left

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem with a hone and new top rings. The second ring from the top is the wiper ring. If it's new he shouldn't have any problems. What you don't want to do is have the oil ring's coiled up center overlap so it can't move... which may happen if just stock .25 over are used. You don't even check for ring gap on the oil ring. Not sure why you couldn't file this one back also... but it would be tough to even check.

I say this thinking the cylinders will still be within spec. We shall see.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm not even close to a guru, but aren't those compression numbers high enough to indicate something else is wrong? Over 100 across the board doesn't sound terrible, and "wet with gas" is not the same as "fouled with oil." He said that the cylinders are cold, not that they're fouling out after a while. Just sayin'...

I'd look elsewhere before I did all of that tearing down. Actually, I'd probably do the ring job, then be perplexed when that doesn't solve the problem, halfway through the riding season.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

The carbs will be looked at also while it is apart. I didn't want to get it all put back together, knowing that I'll have to tear it down again anyway. Do it now while it it has all the bags and fairing off, and I'm not freezing, or sweating my ass off.

Comment

More (*%$#&

When I took off the timing cover the other day I also found that he crank seal was leaking also. Those are hell to pull without splitting the cases, especially if it is the OEM seal with the retaining lip on the OD of the seal.

Comment

Working...
            X