Jackets for odd shaped people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackets for odd shaped people

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that my waist doesn't taper down like most bike jackets seem to be made for. Does anyone have suggestions for jackets if you're, say, pear shaped?
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Buy a couple sizes too large. You want room for a sweater and what not anyway.

Bike jackets are not supposed to be tight....

Also, buy one that is as close as you can get, then take it to any tailor shop and have it altered to fit.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Order a Langlitz custom made leather jacket and it'll fit right but it will also be expensive.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Different slant on the problem

..............Go on a diet
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

You want the jacket to be tight around the bottom. That's why the best ones have belts around the waist. It's so when you fall and slide feet first the jacket won't ride up. Size one that fits snugly around the waist.

TomB: fat people ride too.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Yeah Tom, If I'd wanted an answer like that I would have asked my mom what kind of jacket to buy!

Comment

Hi Manshack,
              if you won't listen to your mother telling you that you are digging your grave with your teeth there's no way e-strangers on a bike list can curb your overeating, right?
              To cover your bloated midsection you can buy zip-in panels that bridge the gap between one side of your jacket's zipper and the other. Has a kinda double-zippered Russian look to it.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey I was only offering a suggestion

I'm not judging anyone or trying to curb anyones appetites, I'm rather fond of my food and beer myself

Its just it worked for me, I had bike gear that was starting to get a little tight and was at the stage of looking around for larger gear when I thought

''hell! there's nowt wrong with the gear I've got, its me thats wrong''

.....................ring any bells?
                Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I only posted this because I figured I wasn't the only biker carrying a spare tire around his waist rather than over the back of a sidecar. Of course I could diet and drop down from the 42 I wear now to something more slimming. I was just trying to make a point that most of America is bigger in the middle than the people making the jackets seem to realize. I can't really go in and shop for gear becuase the closest biker gear shop is going to be close to 2 1/2 hrs away from me. I guess I could ride there and just not leave till I find something that fits. I was kidding about my mom. She doesn't have a lot of room to criticize, you know? (and she'd agree with me on that)

So Tom, how much weight did you have to lose to fit back into your gear? I've started eating fruit for breakfast instead of honey buns and cinammon rolls. Hopefully that's a good start. I saw myself in some pictures the other day (usually i'm behind the camera) and can't really believe what I saw. It's tough to realize it's gotten out of hand since the weight creeps on so slowly.

Comment

I can only assume your shopping for biker gear, in a fashion leather store! True Biker gear is usually quite forgiving in that area. However, it's also generally quite expensive.

Keep in mind that, unless you like to look pretty, you'll likely be wearing whatever jacket you buy for the next 15-20 years. I just have to get the seams resewn periodically as they rot out from being wet, after a while. I am on my 2nd leather coat in 27 years.

I didn't lose any weight for my bike gear, but I lost 40 lbs to better fit into my Army dress uniform. Of course over the next 3-4 years I gained all of it back, and I am back down 20lbs again.

Problem with diets is: Once on you can never get off.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Had a picture taken of me at the beach last summer. Saw it when I got home and wondered, "When did we go to the zoo to take pictures of the hairless albino apes?!?"

1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Malber I know what you're talking about. I used to be shaped like a barrel, now it's more like a round beer keg.

I have to go to Killeen Texas this weekend for my wife's family reunion. Anyone know of some good shops to stop by in that area? I'm also needing to try on youth helmets for my daughter. I know there's a CycleGear in Austin but it's over an hour out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by malber
                          Had a picture taken of me at the beach last summer. Saw it when I got home and wondered, "When did we go to the zoo to take pictures of the hairless albino apes?!?"

LOL, at least you look like a hairless ape. If I don't get the clippers out I straight up look like a ape.

Cycle gear is a great place for helmets. If nothing else just to try a bunch of different ones on. It's probably worth the drive.
                          79 XS11 special

Comment

Yes, I agree that CycleGear is a great place. Thats where We got our helmets. Very good prices I thought too.

As for a leather Jacket, we have a Burlington Coat Factory close by and thats where I got mine. They had a ton of different styles, sizes, and shapes. Less than a $100 bucks too. It is very good quality.
                            1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Looks like the Cycle gear in Austin is just a small strip mall store. I'm seeing on google several shops (even a harley shop) in Temple and Belton which I have to drive through. I might try one of them out to get an idea of sizes and material.

Comment

Working...
                              X