Special fuel tank capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special fuel tank capacity

Today I filled an empty Special tank and it held preciesly 3.946 gals. I filled it to the very bottom of the filler neck tube, just like I do on my bike. I have never been able to put any more than 3.5 gals in mine and that was when it seemed to out of gas, coasting into a gas station. I guess there is the equivilent of a quart that cannot be drawn out.
    (Ok, so I forgot to add "Per Side)
    Last edited by John; 10-26-2007, 07:07 PM.

A really BIG quart... like 2 of them! lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Most I've got into mine has been 3.2
      that's been right after going to reserve.

mro

Comment

Should hit reserve at 3.5 gallons empty at 3.9 and change
        " That glass isn't half empty it has a hole in it "

79 SF set to cruise

80special work in progress

and now 78 needs work

Comment

Hi John,

3.946 gals?...... .946! Jeez, you need to get out more!

AlanB
          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB
            Hi John,

3.946 gals?...... .946! Jeez, you need to get out more!

AlanB
            But I did get out...to the gas station. I had treated the tank from the Bag Lady, and I wanted to know excactly how much fuel it would take to fill it. Kat drove me to the gas station, so I could hold the tank and prevent spillage on the ride home.
            The Clymer manual says the tank is 3.9 gals, but I never believed it was that big. I wanted to find out for sure.

Comment

capacity

John ,
              I once rode slowly to station and put 3.9999 gallons in my 80XS1100SG.

Pump could have some inacuarcy in measuring. Also I have added some extra fuel line and 2 inline filters, having bypassed the octopus.

I have also rode into station and put 5.434 gallons into a "5" gallon tank on my HD road king. I asked the guy making the tanks at York, PA about the stated versus the actual capacity. He indicated that there was indeed some variation from tank to tank.

At least you know now.

Happy motoring,
              Brent in GA

But I did get out...to the gas station. I had treated the tank from the Bag Lady, and I wanted to know excactly how much fuel it would take to fill it. Kat drove me to the gas station, so I could hold the tank and prevent spillage on the ride home.
              The Clymer manual says the tank is 3.9 gals, but I never believed it was that big. I wanted to find out for sure.
              [/QUOTE]
              It is a great big beautiful world out there
              Brent in GA
              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

I put 4.037 in my Special once this summer. I drove it into the gas station and shut it off but it had to be running on fumes.

Bob
                #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                '97 V-Max
                '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the volume for the tank not based on water at 68 degrees? I think that the pumps are also calibrated at 68 degrees so their measurements, when correct, can vary at different temps. On my old Ford with dual tanks I used to run one tank dry all the time and it never refilled to the same amount!
                  Ernie
                  79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                  (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                  X