RTV use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTV use

Can RTV be used to seal some gaps/seams in plastic (waterproofing)
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

For plastic I would use silicone instead of RTV. As far as using it on the engine, just remember that RTV actually means "Really Trashes Valves"

RTV will actually shrink away from the plastic, as it contracts and expands. Silicone won't.
    Jim Horton
    Myrtle Beach SC 29588
    843-274-5045

Comment

Hmmm, what I have in my hand says Napa Black RTV Silicone Rubber Auto Sealant..
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

Once again, RTV will shrink from weather changes. Now, with that said, the Black RTV Silicone Rubber Auto Sealant that you have in your hand, is different from regular RTV. That one has a higher concentration of silicone in the mixture. Check the packaging, to make sure that it is Non-hardening. If it is, go for it. But if it dries hard, I wouldn't use it. But the choice is ultimately yours to decide.
        Jim Horton
        Myrtle Beach SC 29588
        843-274-5045

Comment

RTV is a type of silicone is a type of rubber...

I'm fond of "Shoe Goo" as a high strength adhesive sealant.

What are you trying to do exactly?
          '79 XS11SF
          '85 GS700E

Comment

I'm just needing to fill in some gaps in some seams in the bodywork on my Honda as I put it back together. There are some spots that I don't want water finding it's way into. Figured black silicone RTV sealant would work well with black plastic. I hate all this plastic on the ST.
            XS = much better in this respect
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Another option is to use a Plasti-Welder. Works just like the wood burners I played with as a child, only with plastic. Can be bought at Lowe's, Home Depot, places like that.
              Jim Horton
              Myrtle Beach SC 29588
              843-274-5045

Comment

Works just like the wood burners I played with as a child,
                Are you gonna burn your fingers... or chase your brother around the house like I used to?
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Actually, I used to sneak up on my little brother, hold it close to his ear, and then dare him to move! My Mom would beat the s*** out me later, but watching him sweat was worth it!
                  Jim Horton
                  Myrtle Beach SC 29588
                  843-274-5045

Comment

Working...
                  X