MadMax's Metamorphasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MadMax's Metamorphasis

Talk abt fate...I was going to move to a smaller location and then my plans changed.In the meantime a good friend offered his heated garage to store MadMax.I was gonna sell him as I thought I wouldn't have any place to keep him.So I actually placed an ad here to the effect that he was for sale.That lasted less than a week.While he was up for sale I was browsing around the forum and came upon a post titled "Look whos bike is forsale on e-bay"It turns out the the bike known as "Zilla" owned by MAXIMAN was up forsale.This bike really caught my eye....I was ready to buy it but the wife was having S###fits over just how much it was for a 25 yr old machine...albeit a beautiful and in excellent condition machine that has been modified to XSIVE proportions.I mean as you all know this bike is one of a kind.I was actually picturing it sitting in my garage.The night before it sold I was PMing MAXIMAN abt selling it and perhaps waiting for Spring.He thought that no one on ebay would meet his reserve and that Spring would be alright time to sell...maybe to me or someone else.Well the next morning I am reading the continuing thread abt the "Zilla" and read that some lucky person actually met the reserve and bought the bike...WOW $7901.So even though I already have a 25 year old XJ100 Maxim I really wanted that bike.After a long thought process..I came to the conclusion the my MadMax would undergo a similar transformation.Talking with the wife she said as long as I keep a certain budget I could go ahead and begin the metamorphasis.Ofc MadMax will not be a copy of Zilla but I am planning ship the bike out to OK in the Spring to the same ppl that did the work on Zilla's engine and tranny..Thanks to the generous sharing of knowledge and information thru MAXIMAN I am becoming enlightened and also excited at the possibilities for MadMax.I have always enjoyed MadMax and i am his original owner.But these past few years he has been aging as do we all..but with the inspiration of MAXIMAN and Zilla,I see new life for the old boy.The list of things I plan on doing as budget permits range from beefing up the engine and replacing the old tranny with a new one and eventually finding an XS850 final drive to external improvements,new paint and polish all "bare" metal and adding a Sargent seat.As for luggage not sure if I'll go the same route there...but I will want a Windjammer fairing..all in time...When I am done MadMax will stand out as a one of a kind machine that will garner the envy of all who gaze upon himThis is how MadMax looks now,but if you think he looks good now wait 'til next year
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...max-im/015.jpg
    Last edited by madmax-im; 10-25-2007, 05:21 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

It looks pretty sweet as it is. If I had lived closer to you, I would have snaged it from you. Will be following along with the threads to see this Transformation take place. Will be interesting.
    1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Ahh and to think I was ready to just abt give it away.The picture actually does justice to how good it looks.In reality MadMax needs to be repainted and all the other metal parts need to be sanded down,polished and then clear coated again.Also i was never a fan of the way they painted the engine cylinders.Not sure what I'd do yet but I would like to chrome the whole engine!That sure would look purdy!Most of the transformations will be internal.I will bump the engine up to 1196 cc's and replace the old tranny with a new factory unit.I am looking for approx.100 HP and abt 68 ft lbs of torque.Good for low and midrange grunt!
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Are you going to repaint it? If so same color? Mine is Black with Red Metal flake. The red metal flake does not show that well unless looking close.

Was that the factory color?
        1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Hey MadMax,

Chroming is good, but Expensive!!

See the following threads, AKMAC did quite a bit on his machine, bring your sunglasses!!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=akmac+chrome

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=akmac+chrome

Note his new EBC floating disc brakes as well!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Brian,What you see is the original paint.I am not sure at this point what color I will repaint it.I'm leaning towards a metallic silver.For the engine if it doesn't get totally chromed then I would paint the cylinders and top in black and have the cooling fins chromed.The latter might be less expensive.If you have seen MAXIMAN's "Zilla" he painted it a nice Grey.And his engine was painted black but with the cooling fins chromed.I like that look for the engine.I would keep the frame rails in black but give them a fresh repaint.I would also like to add engine case bars and highway footpegs up front.For the rear passenger remove the footpegs and install floorboards.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

TopCatGR58... Holy Moly! That really does inspire me!!!!I will definitely want to go with Chrome!I really like his exhaust too.If nothing else I have to chrome the rims....So he spent a total of $1900 hmmmmm that is not too unreasonable.the effect is well worth it IMHO.Thanks for the heads up to that thread!WOW!Talk abt seeing the light LOL Not only that but those brake rotors are a must have too!
              Last edited by madmax-im; 10-25-2007, 08:52 PM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That was good reading TC. Thanks for the links.
                1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

I really like MadMax the way it is...and that seat! OOOh, the pattern just goes with the rest of it. Character!!..and COOL!.
                  Geno

Comment

And to think...with the exception of the 4 into 1 exhaust,dunlops,and the bank of k+n filters he hasn't changed at all in the 24+ years I have owned him.As far as the seat...I am planning to redo it with a Sargent with silver piping.While it is a great looker...it is essentially stock...so let the customization begin!I guarantee you he wont look any worse for it!I am getting my inspiration from MAXIMAN for the performance aspects which he achieved with great success.And from AKMac some aspects of customization to the exterior..namely chromed rims new brakes and modern rotors.For paint I am leaning more towards a metallic silver tank,fenders,and side panels.I was also thinking of painting the entire engine black and highlighted cooling fins and other raised surfaces in chrome..similar to MAXIMAN's "Zilla".After all its only$.Time to get a little XSIVE!In the Spring with any luck the process will begin by having MadMax take a trip to OK for the performance mods to be done by the master guru himself.The possibilities are getting me excited to say the least!
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I am leaning more towards a metallic silver tank,fenders,and side panels

Man, I hope you don't ride it in the sun! lol. I hate when my handlebars catch the sun into my eyes. You'll go snowblind in the summertime!
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yeah it might be a bit bright but less so than all chrome.Still I always have a dark pair of sunglasses.I'll just have to learn to adapt...LOL
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X