Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can name that seat in 4 pics...

Actually, I can't...

The following pics are of a seat we bought for the bag lady (Why yes... we are replacing that lovely piece of work that came with it.) The PO said it came off his 80 Special, but it doesn't have the cut out for the tail light assembly and it's wider than the seat currently on the 81 so it won't fit with my current luggage rack and it also won't fit on the 80 Special with the stock hand rail and tail light assembly...

John believes it might come off a late model Standard... Since we can't use it... we now need to sell it but I want to know exactly what we have before we list it anywhere.

It's in great shape... appears to have a new cover with VERY minimal scuffing... a bit of rust on the pan but nothing extraordinary for this old of a seat in used condition...

Can anyone help identify this seat?

All help is appreciated...
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

The shape looks a lot like the stock seat on Tsunami, an '81H:

The stitching is not the same, but you do say yours appears to have been recovered.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I can name that seat

Looks very much like the unit on my '79 SF
      1979 XS1100SF
      2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

nice seat though

Hi Wildkat,
        your sign-off lists 3 '80s and an '84 so what '81 would that be? To narrow down what the seat might be, take the luggage rack of the '81 and see if it fits with the rack gone. Then take the grab-rail off one of the SGs and see if it fits that. I suspect it's a seat for an earlier Special that had a chromed steel grab-rail that kicked up square rather than at an angle. Anyone know if those seat hold-down bolt towers are only found on XS11s or if other bikes in the XS series have them?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

And it looks very like my 80G...
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Dead ringer for the one off of an 81SH. Hey KAT what do you need to get for it?
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Okay....

I'm leaning toward the later model Standards at this point too...

These pictures may not show the subtle differences between the 79 Special seat on Twilite and the the seat in question... but they are there... They do look a LOT alike though... that's one reason I thought it would fit my 81...
              The seat in question, with a quick measurement, shows the width to be about 14.5" while the 79 seat is about 13"... so it is definitely wider than the 79...
              The front of the seat in question is not tapered to the tank like the 79 seat... You can almost make that out in the pictures.

I can pretty much bet it isn't originally off an SG or an SH as we have both bikes and it doesn't fit either. As I pointed out earlier, both of these bikes have the tail light assembly in the back of the seat and there is no cut out for it in this seat.

However, it might fit if you have moved the tail light assembly down to the fender, I really don't know...
              If you're interested... PM me...

Okay... so maybe I did kind of already have my mind made up about it... just wanted to be certain it would fit a late model Standard before I list as such.

and Fred... the 81 is my Something Special (next to John)... my primary ride and is listed at the very top of my signature...

Thank you to all who have answered so far and I am still open to suggestions...
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Kat,
                The seat is from an 80G. The one on mine is identical other than being worn a lot more.
                POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
                THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
                1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

I vote an 80G. Looks just like every 80G seat I've seen...minus the grab bar.

Comment

I vote 1980G

looks like My Ebaybe 1980G seat

80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
                    Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
                    I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

Thank you ever so kindly!

and especially for you two posting pics of your seats (man is there ever a joke in there somewhere... but I shall refrain)

I'm going to go with the general consensus that this is, indeed, off an 80G...

Today, I'll clean up some of the rust and get it looking shiny on the bottom too, then list it and see what happens...

Thanks again to all for your help!
                      (anyone looking for a nice seat for an 80G? )
                      81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

Hey Dan

What IS that thing with the wood boxes parked behind your bike in the pic?
                        81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Looks like a Volkswagon trike with wooden "Saddle Bags" to me. A new meaning to hard bags?

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own