Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Show Results, Loaner Carbs, and Help from TopCat!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Show Results, Loaner Carbs, and Help from TopCat!!!!!

My name is Jim Horton, I own Jackhammer Cycles in Myrtle Beach SC, and I was a member here a couple of years back. Back then I spoke by email to TopCat and a few others on a number of occasions. And let me tell you, TC is the BOMB! Here's why:

For the past 5 months, I have been doing a custom rebuild, from frame up, on a 1979 XS1100F, trying to get it ready for a bike show here during the Fall Rally. But a week before the show, I realized that the replacement carbs I purchased off Ebay from a person in Canada were not going to arrive here in time for the show. So I sent TC an email, asking for help in the form of borrowing his set for the Basket Case that he has. I really didn't expect him to just say "Sure, Why Not" but that is exactly what he did. He has been a fountain of information on this 79F, also. My last XS was an 81S, so there were some differences that I was unaware of, but with his help, this machine is one outrageous ride!!! My hat is off to TC, as I said, he is the BOMB!!!!!

Now, as far as the Bike Show went, I entered the 79F in the Bobber Class, next to 3 Harley Davidson's. And in the pics, you can see the 1st Place Trophy that I won! And when you consider that the judging was done by the local MC patch-holders, I think the day was pretty successful!!

A little history about the bike itself, it is one that I acquired in May of this year, and it was completely rebuilt from frame up, including the motor and tranny. I converted it to a rigid frame, by using flat-bar struts, it has a custom headlight, solo seat, no horn or signals, stock handlebars for a 81XS650Special, new brakes, seals, tires, etc. Basically, I now have a brand new 1979 Yamaha.

Yesterday, (Friday, Oct 12) I finally put the bike on the road, and it is one powerful and responsive machine! Below are some links to photos of the bike, and to my website, which has photos of the show and trophy. Enjoy, and any comments, and questions, are always welcome.

http://www.jackhammercycles.com

Jim Horton
    Myrtle Beach SC 29588
    843-274-5045

"Why am I thinking about carburator vacuum port nipples?"

Nice job, Jim!
    And yes, we've always said that about T.C.
    He is "The Man".
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hi Jim,
      congratulations on the win. And with that huge ugly standard tank, too. Tell you what, in my own small way I'm a generous fellow too so I will straight trade you that big ugly tank for the sleekly elegant stock tank off my '80 Special.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bike looks great! Congrats on the award

Dave
        Dave
        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

My Wife wondered what the heck site I was at! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
          1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Fredintoon, let's work out the details on trading tanks. I prefer the special tank, but I worked with what I had. But I need to keep the new petcocks that are on the tank now. Let me know.
            Jim Horton
            Myrtle Beach SC 29588
            843-274-5045

Comment

Hi Jim,
              how about we do this off-line.
              e-mail me at:-
              fred650@sasktel.net
              and we can work out the details.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"