My first XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first XS

Here is the story... This bike belonged to my father in law. He passed away in 2004. He was a avid rider and owned several bikes.

I was given an 87 Gold Wing, an 82 Kawasaki 250. The XS was to go to my brother in law. Believe it or not, he didn't want it. He was going to sell it for what ever he could get. My wife couldn't stand the thought of it leaving the family. This was the first bike her dad gave her a ride on and there are a lot of family memories with it.

I fell in love with this bike right away. I jumped at the chance to take it. To bad it has been sitting since 1992. Currently I am rebuilding the carbs to get it running and figure out what else needs to be done to make her road worthy. The Gold Wing, sitting since 2002 will be sold as soon as it is in good running order.

This is my first bike, so until it is running sound I am looking for a good dual sport to get my feet wet on.

Anyway, I see you all love pictures so here is a link....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14861794@N02/sets/
    1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
    1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
    1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Welcome to the board! The bike looks like it should clean up nice, and be a good runner.
    For your first bike, try to spend some time on the dirt with someone who knows how to really ride. They should be able to teach you how to slide around corners, jump, and do all the "fun" stuff on the dirt. This will also help once you are on the road, as the controls will be automatic, and you can worry just about the idiots in cars. one or two months on the dirt BEFORE you get on the street WILL save your life, IMHO.
    Check the Tech Tips from the MAIN page, for information on the carbs, and anything else you may need to check.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Tomatao & welcome.
      What Ray sez! If it's your first motorcycle any bike as big, heavy and powerful as an XS11 can be an extreme health hazard.
      You say you also inherited a 250 Kawi?
      Now there is a safer place to start the motorcycle experience. Good luck with the refurbishing BTW. My own XS11 looked far worse than yours does when I first got it, um, it still does but it runs OK. I suppose the rightside pannier lid went AWOL? Any bike list anywhere is full of want ads looking for pannier lids, you'd think there'd be a better way to hold the things on eh?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Awesome!! Another XSive that is reasonably close to me! Welcome aboard!
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Who knows where that lid went... I know this bike made at least two trips to Western Canada and one to Arizona.

The Kawi would be a great first bike, but it looks like it is just a parts bike. The starter and God knows what else is missing from it. It is a 250C, which is a street bike. I looked around a bit for parts and can't find much, which tells me it's not worth the effort.

I thought about the dirt only option, but then I would need to get either a trailer or truck to haul them. With the dual I can just ride to the trail.

I've ridden bicyles for years, both road and mountain. Having been down on both I can fully appreciate the forgivness of dirt. I also get the being the small guy on the road as big trucks wizzed by me at 60. I'm actually looking forward to being able to keep up with traffic rather than hoping that the ding dong on his cell phone doing 70 notices the brightly colored jersey.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Gawd!
            A freakin' bicyclist! They are a total menace when mixed in with powered traffic. Build them bike lanes everywhere, I say. Catch them on the road & give them the same obstruction ticket that I'd get if I drove my Buick down the street at 12mph. And no more deking onto the sidewalk to dodge the red lights when riding your XS11.
            Seriously though, riding a bicycle should have taught you the important lesson that 95% of road users have not noticed you and the other 5% want you dead.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcome!

She looks like a nice bike Sounds like you have a well trained SHMBO as well

Dave
              Dave
              1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

The nice thing about SWMBO is that she let's me think I'm HWMBO.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

The beauty of these bikes lies in their relative simplicity. As Diver said she looks like she'll clean up nice. You won't beat the satisfaction that will come with getting it running yourself.

Who knows where that lid went... I know this bike made at least two trips to Western Canada and one to Arizona
                  Anybody check Saskatoon?
                  Ernie
                  79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                  (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Welcome aboard, T. That is good advice, about starting on something a little smaller, because no matter how badly maintained these bikes are, if it will run, she will bite you if you aren't careful! That said, I would do the following:

Drain and clean the tank
                    Clean the carbs
                    Clean the carbs again
                    Clean the carbs one more time
                    Inspect front and rear brakes
                    Change the oil, brake fluid, final drive and middle gear oil
                    Check and clean all electrical connections
                    Install new battery & new spark plugs
                    Replace both tires

Ride it like it is yours, because now she is!

If I can offer any help or advice, don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else on this board.
                    Jim Horton
                    Myrtle Beach SC 29588
                    843-274-5045

Comment

Don't listen to the people who tell you not to start on a big bike. My '81 Special is my first bike and I wouldn't want anything else. It's big, heavy, and way more stable than the puny 250 cc Honda Rebel I learned on in the MSF Basic Rider course. Plus it has the power to pull you out of a lot of drama that the littler bikes won't be able to. BTW, take that Basic Rider course. The skills you learn there will save your life. Dirt skills are fine, but they won't teach you how to do an emergency stop or properly swerve. Street skills are different.

I notice you're on Flickr. Check out our Flickr group:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/yamaha_xs-xj11/
                      Last edited by malber; 10-16-2007, 12:03 PM.
                      1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I totally agree with Malber. I started on an 82 XJ650. The bike was way squirlier. I felt loads safer and more comfortable on the XS. Sure, it is a little faster, but that is a mental thing. keep your foot out of its A and the extra power isn't going to hurt you.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I agree with malber and 81xsproject. I've been making the same comments about the little 250's in the MSF to all my buddies and I've only ridden my bike once! The only bad thing about having an xs11 is not having time to ride it! Rain, Rain, Go AWAY!

Congrats on your find and welcome to the board. I'm sure you'll find everyone as helpful and courteous as I have!
                          79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

I did get it started a few days ago after installing new battery, plugs, changed oil, rebuilt carbs. The bike had been stored with gas in it so the carbs were stuck shut.

Anyway, started fine, smoked like I wouldn't believe. I added some Seafoam to the cylinders and let it sit over night. Started her up again and after a while the smoke pretty much cleared up.

So now I will go to work on the brakes and drive oils. I wanted to get it started first to make sure I didn't have any big issues to deal with.

I am already signed up for the basic saftey course. I will likely get out on this bike as soon as it is ready. How could I resist? Just hearing it run gave me a healthy respect for the power.

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Dude, seriously, clean your garage.
                              LOL
                              XS looks pretty nice.
                              Thanks for buying a Liberty. Helps to allow me the opportunity to afford my XS.
                              79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                              07 V-star 1100
                              Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X