Why do YOU ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do YOU ride?

Everyone knows the stock answer: "If you have to ask, you'll never understand." But I think relates to why we continue to ride. I think for everyone there had to be an initial reason why we got into motorcycling.

For me it was very simple. It was a hot summer day and our air-conditioning wasn't being very efficient. I had just had a "discussion" with SWMBO and would have given anything to be somewhere else. Problem was there was really nowhere to go; gas even then cost too much to go for a ride in the truck and it really seemed you needed a destination. Then I hear our downstairs neighbor fire up his brand new VTX and pull out of the driveway. I was so jealous. He had an XS1100 that he called his "Significant Other" because, simply, it was his other bike. We had talked about selling it to us. A few days later he was up in the apartment and I asked him again about selling it. He said, "**** man, I'll give it to you. It's the kind of bike you're supposed to pass down anyway." I was blown away.
    It's my way of escaping the troubles of life and clear my head.
    28.95%
    The freedom of the open road.
    15.79%
    To get the hell away from SWMBO!
    1.32%
    The excitement of cutting through the sweepers down canyon roads.
    1.32%
    It's all about triple-digit sightseeing.
    0.00%
    The sound that Skippy the Squirell makes when my front tire makes contact with his skull.
    3.95%
    The voices in my head told me to.
    10.53%
    Live to ride, ride to live...man.
    11.84%
    Chicks dig me on it.
    2.63%
    It was so long ago, I can't remember why.
    23.68%
    1981 XS1100SH

I've been riding for over 40 years. I enjoy the freedom, splitting lanes in commute traffic, and feeling the micro-climates as I go over the Santa Cruz Mountains every day on my way to and from work.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

it's the voices...and I always listen to the voices man!
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

it's the voices...

For me, when riding it's easier to not listen and don't have to answer em
        When I'm riding you either pay attention or else....
        My attention gets full and content and sometimes a little more, XSpecially out in the mountains our on my night runs thru the canyons.

mro

Comment

BTW, the vote

Could only choose one, when four of the choices better describe how I feel about riding.

mro

Comment

Re: BTW, the vote

Originally posted by mro
            Could only choose one, when four of the choices better describe how I feel about riding.

mro
            I considered making it a checkbox vote, but since some of them are obviously joke answers I decided against that just to see if anyone would pick the funny ones. If you've got more reasons, do list them here. The story of how you came to motorcycling would be interesting too.
            1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Even more than a half-century ago I was fat & lazy so I bought a used cyclemaster to power my bicycle. Swapped & traded one elderly bike for another; James, Royal Enfield, Velocette, Norton+Swallow sidecar, BSA, BSA+Garrard sidecar then marriage, kids & cars & move to Canada. Start over, Jawa, Triumph, Royal Enfield, Honda, Yamaha, Yamaha+S of A sidecar. Guess I'm an addict.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Easy Rider

Looking for adventure and whatever comes my way.......
                Bruce

78XS1100 Alpha with a 79 special motor
                Bruce Doucette
                Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

My first two wheeler was a 26" bike with a 10 hp briggs eng and a pully kit from monkywards. I was 14 then and have been riding since and I still love it. I have had Hondas till 79 when I got a 750 Special and in 81 I got an 1100 Special and have had them since then. SHotgun Special is my forth 81 SH.

Trapper

81 SH (SHotgun Special)
                  110 mains
                  idle jets 2.5 turns
                  floats at 24mm

You live, You learn, then Die and Forget it all

Comment

Because it's my drug. I'm a full blown addict. You think I jest... but be around me when I haven't gotten to ride in a while, and you'll beg for a woman on PMS to talk to instead of me!

I guess that's why I ride all year... rain, cold, or heat. The hardest part of the day is making it turn right into the parking lot at work.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

why I ride

Well I started out in a small metal little pedal car back in the 50's and moved on to bicycles,rode everywhere,loved going out on sunday mornings when there was no traffic,peddled my arz off,bikes became my way to hit the road at an early age.At 16 I got a Honda 160 Dream.17 a 66 Honda 450,18 a 650 Yamaha and at 26 I got MY BIKE a '80 1100 Yamaha.I just like to ride,don't put the miles on like I want to but,that is the working life.I wanna see what is around the next bend....Ms. Jones hanging her wash,Billy Bob painting the fence,Jimmey cutting the grass,fantastic 400 mile ride last weekend,riding a ferry across the Ohio river,meeting some really nice riders in Logan OH..........mmmmmmmmmm why do I ride?Can't imagine life with out a bike,you either understand or ya don't get it.
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

It's too far to walk.
                        I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

when I started....

It was my first summer back from college, and I remember it vividly. I was looking to do something different, and I decided it was to be a motorcycle or a tattoo. I was standing in the kitchen when I told my mom that. I'll never forget this... She looked me square in the eye and said, "Erik, please get a tattoo."

It's what I do when I need to figure something out. How I ride often reflects/expresses my mood. Fast and aggressive, charging the corners, leaning hard, or just chillin', not letting the slowness of the cages in front bother me.

Many times it's simply an excuse to be outside and to see new stuff. Ride the roads I've never seen before. I believe Dragonrider calls it "holistic navigation". I like that.
                          Last edited by Erik the Red; 10-11-2007, 07:24 AM.
                          -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                          '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                          ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Re: when I started....

Originally posted by Erik the Red
                            Many times it's simply an excuse to be outside and to see new stuff. Ride the roads I've never seen before. I believe Dragonrider calls it "holistic navigation". I like that.
                            "Where are you going?"
                            "Wherever my front wheel takes me."
                            1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I'm more comfortable on a bike than a car. I feel like I have more control and more options.

There's also the expense. Bikes are cheaper to buy and easier and cheaper to fix. My insurance is $65 a year and gas mileage is as good as any economy car. Only real expense are tires and I can make up for that in one months gas and insurance savings.

I'm fortunate to have a 30 mile commute to work with decent flowing traffic. Otherwise I wouldn't have a valid reason to ride.
                              79 XS11 special

Comment

Working...
                              X