2nd Annual Meeting of the XSive Minds - 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dean,

If you're keen on going, we can take the trip together. I'll be riding all the way. You can spend the first night of your trip with me in Stroudsburg, PA. I'm 300 mi south of you.

I figured a three-day ride (1500 mi)

Comment

I figured a three-day ride (1500 mi):

Roanoke, VA (500)

Memphis, TN (650)

Hurst (500)

Comment

I'll be putting some thought into it Randy... Right now I'm hoping that my broken bones will be sufficiently healed to be able to do some miles come spring (as well as paddling kayaks and swinging golf clubs etc.). I'm assuming you'll be riding the XS? Will keep in touch..
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Assume I'll be riding the XS?

Lesee,

-30th anniversary,

+

-Gathering of XSives,

= YEAH, I'll be riding Swamp Thing. Besides, It's the only bike I own!

And before anyone goes anal. I know, bad math - Memphis ( 480)

Comment

Me and SWMBO are planning to attend!

She's going to follow in the minivan and only ride on the bike with me when we are there in a group. I don't blame her. I need a lot more miles under my belt before I start riding 2-up. Plus it gives me a place to store our bags! Hopefully in the next 9 months I can find a babysitter.
            79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

Good to hear!

Maybe Bagger Dave and I can meet you in Crockett on the way up.

greg
              Gone but never Forgotten:
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
              2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
              2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Skippy, Bagger Dave and me, cruising to the rally?

Life is good.

I'm planning on staying off the interstate and go through Palestine, Athens, Kaufman and then cut over on 20 at the last minute to swing around. That should keep us on fairly quiet 2 lane roads for the most part. And if you have anything extra to pack you only have to worry about getting it to Crockett because then you could stuff it in the minivan since SWMBO will be following us. Maybe some other members would be able to meet up in Palestine and we could add more to our group on the way?

Comment

Just wondering what sort of workshops/tutorials are being planned?

Comment

My bike can be the subject for Rear Brake Rebuilding! LOL I'll just keep using the front brake only til June!

Comment

Nothing Formal

This past session, we did a crank bearing replacement session. BBQ session, went to look at some classic cars and hot rods session, and did a rainy ride through the Fort Worth area session.

We also did a rank on Bagger Dave for driving a cage to an XS meet session.

Had about 11 or so XS/XJs and 1 Honda (Civic).

greg
                      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Re: Good to hear!

Originally posted by skippy344
                        Maybe Bagger Dave and I can meet you in Crockett on the way up.

greg
                        I'm in to!! Not gonna do the day trip this time. Hopefully we won't have practice our rain suit drill on this trip.
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                          Just wondering what sort of workshops/tutorials are being planned?
                          Randy, like skippy said, it's really an informal get together. It's basically a 'what needs fixin' on your bike?' kinda thing. Plenty o' beer, BBQ, & BS. I have an 81 SH engine that needs going through, if anybody wants to learn how to size the bearings, mic a crank, and maybe do a 1st & 2nd gear fix. Maybe some carb work, brake rebuild as manshack said. . There is a car show planned for that weekend, and we have a new farvoritist (yes, it's a word) route to ride.

Comment

If a lot of you guys are in Austin/College Station then it could end up being really out of your way to come all the way here. Even if we have to ride the interstate maybe we should split it and meet in Caldwell or something? I'm sure I can still get us a backroad route from there to the meet.

Thanks for the brake rebuild bump John!

Comment

meeting point

Hey Manshack_one,

Since we have made that trip several times, we have figured out that its better to get to Kat and John's house as soon as possible.

We can meet you in Centerville. Webbcraft and Bagger Dave will probably meet at my house, since it seems to be centally located to them. Then we can blaze up to Centerville and meet you.

A quick trip up 45 to 287 and the 820, and we are there.

Once there, we'll do our scenic, twisty ride.

But we'll see as we get closer to that time. I've got a Kawasaki Voyager now, so we won't have to stop every 80 miles for fuel!

greg
                              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Re: meeting point

Originally posted by skippy344

But we'll see as we get closer to that time. I've got a Kawasaki Voyager now, so we won't have to stop every 80 miles for fuel!

greg
                                You may not have to stop, but the rest of us Special riders will. If we follow the route that we have in mind, then we can make it to a gas station when we get to our destination. I made the ride last week on one tank each way.

Comment

Working...
                                X