leather vs textile/armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leather vs textile/armor

I like vented leather jackets............ I would like to know if armored/textile/kevlar products can help prevent broken bones or if is primarily just a function of how you hit, your body build and musculature. My plain leather did fine with the road rash part of the equation. Don't know how armor would have prevented or minimized bones breaking. I want to know if armor is useful in this respect as I shop for a new jacket. Motoport/cycleport products have been recommended highly.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Having worked at a hospital for 7 years and responded to nearly all the traumas (including cycle wrecks) I can vouch for armor.
    The armor is foam over plastic or dual density foam.
    The foam absorbes the impact and the harder inner layer (plastic or denser foam) distributes the impact over a larger surface area.
    My armored jackets have panels on the forearms/elbows, over the shoulders, and a panel in the back (spine). When I showed the jacket to the trauma Dr's and Nurses they approved but they ased why no armor in the front. I asked if they'd ever found significant damage to the front of the torso and they agreed it was rare. When it did happen the rider was unconcious and slid on their stomach for a short way before traction made them tumble.
    As far as textile vs leather, leather will last significantly longer in a slide. The downside to leather is it's hot. On a hot day you may leave the protection at home. A (mesh) textile jacket is actually cooler than a T-shirt. while moving. You still have the impact protection of the armor and the mesh will hold-up for a little way.
    When asked on those 110 degree days how I can wear a jacket I reply, "if you don't have any skin you can't sweat".
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I went with textile/armor when I was looking for riding gear. Liked the leather, but in addition to the points outlined above, the textile suits take far less maintenance and typically are much less expensive. Been wearing my Tourmaster 2-piece suit for about 6 years now, is getting a little frayed on cuffs and such so it may be time for replacement, but like the idea that I can come home from a long ride, remove the armor, throw the jacket and pants into the wash and come out with a nice, clean suit for the next ride. (By long ride I mean a few thousand miles or so, don't wash the stuff after every ride....)

Anyway, there is some nice stuff out there in both materials, but the textile/armor got my vote.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

+1 on the Tour Master. I purchased their Intake Air Jacket and later the Venture Air Pant. I chose these over leather for their 4 season (Hot, Mild, Cold, Wet) capabilities. I can attest to the Hot, Mild, and Wet capabilites as the m/c has been my only mode of transportation since mid July. Fortunately, I haven't tested the other protective qualities (armor) yet!

You may want to look into the leather jackets that have pockets for the addition of armor. Noticed that most of Tour Masters leather jackets support armor.

Comment

I have no personal experience but have been told by many who wear the new lighter, breathable armor stuff that it is the proverbial cats behind.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I've been wearing textile for a a while now. I just purchased a vented leather jacket. The advantage of the leather is improved comfort in varying temperatures.

I have a mesh jacket. On a trip it's no good because it won't keep me warm. My other textile jacket roasts me when the temperature rises over 80 Fahrenheit. The textile jackets won't stuff in a saddle bag.

In this regard, the leather jacket is a good alternative. I have no doubt that my textile jackets offer much better protection. I also like the fact that my textile jacket is waterproof.

Also, it should be noted that body armor is available to wear under leather. I've seen folks doing this.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Something I did for a few years is wear an oversized windbreaker over the armored mesh jacket. This created an inch or so of dead airspace around your body and keeps you extremely warm. It works well on my fully-faired E on days that were in the 30's (degrees).
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

My Tourmaster jacket has a mesh lining and adjustable vents on back of shoulders and arms. Came with a zip-in liner for cold weather use. Since I sit behind a big Vetter fairing I find the liner is useful only when temps dip below about 50 deg F; otherwise I just adjust the zipper vents on the jacket to keep comfortable. I can also adjust the Velco neck closure and top of the 2-way jacket zipper to regulate venting around the neck; less in cool weather, more in hot weather.

I also have a leather jacket, non-vented, non-armored. It is good for short trips, but I will have to say it is not as comfortable as the Tourmaster in hot weather.

The Tourmaster pants, on the other hand, are not vented, and I normally ride with the side zippers opened a couple inches to get ventilation when it is hot. Quite comfortable that way.

Another advantqge of the textile suits is that they generally have some reflective striping on them which helps cagers spot you in low-light conditions.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I commute to work rain or shine on my bike... I dont drive a cage unless my wife twists my arm, and thats seldom, she love to ride with me. My daily commute is 2.5 hours total. I put alot of wear/tear on my gear, I really use it... that being said..here's what I use.

I use a fieldSheer Adventure jacket and pants for cold/wet weather. I love'm best money that i've spent. to put the liners in its got to be cold ... around 50 i'd say. Its essential to have good gloves with gauntlets when riding in the rain.... without them, water blows up your sleeve. The jacket comes with a built in neck warmer that is rain proof as well. Without some type of rain proofing around your neck water will just run down your neck and into the jacket.

I use a Joe Rocket mesh for summer riding. Its great from 75 to 105 ... anything lower and i'm chilly at speed and any thing higher and I'm swelltering.... i still wear it .. but it is hot. Tip - soak it with water on those really hot days, you'll be dry in no time and while drying it keeps you nice and cool. Its just like AC.

Comment

My stuff is textile, armored. I use a Fieldsheer mesh (Mach 4) in the summer. It has it's own rain cover that doubles as a windbreaker on cold days. In the desert, wet the shirt, put on the jacket and you're wearing a swamp cooler that really works. My year-round gear is Clover pants and jacket, armored, zip out liners. Seems to work well.
                    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I have a first gear kilimanjaro jacket for spring/fall and winter (I ride all year, rain shine or snow), and a first gear Kenya 2 mesh jacket for the hot days. The Kenya is nice because it has a waterproof shell, rather than a liner, so the jacket stays dry.

For pants I have first gear HT pants, but can't wear them in the summer. I have been looking at mesh pants, but haven't gotten any yet.

The kili and HT pants are 3 years old, maybe 40-50k. They look pretty beat up, but are still water proof and warm.

The motoport stuff seems pretty good too, and I think I am going to pick up their kelvar pants over the winter. And, or course, you can always look at the Aerostich Roadcrafter. A lifetime warrentee and they tailor to fit.
                      I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Sure one is safer in armour but as my riding these days is exclusively on a sidecar rig, I have been riding all summer in jeans & jean jacket & using a 3/4 helmet instead of a full face because of the off again then on again bother with glasses.
                        And mesh gloves, gotta phobia about riding gloveless. But not yesterday. Effin' cold & windy. Dug out my full face, Hein Gericke hip length leather jacket with thermal liner, winter gloves and Borg-lined zip boots. Just to ride down town & back.
                        Shoulda worn my neck warmer too.
                        Winter looms! Ugh.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                        X