Anybody use a Wii gaming system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use a Wii gaming system?

This could have turned into something like an oil or tire thread, but I tried to keep it narrowed to this one system!

SWMBO has stated/hinted that she wants "US" to get one of these for her for Xmas. So...I was just wondering if other Xsives have this system, what do they think of it, the games to play with it, specifically the SPORTS game, etc.?!

I don't get to play with my Orig. Xbox or PC games much anymore, and SWMBO doesn't play them due to poor hand/eye coordination, but I know the Wii uses a different...?simpler interface design and some of the games are a bit simpler like bowling...which she used to enjoy till Arthritis set in. I just find it hard to justify shelling out $300.00 + for something that will probably get used for 2 weeks, and then left alone!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

If it keeps the kids and the wife out of your stuff, go for it.

Personally, I think of game baxes as toys for the kids. I never use them, I keep a pretty decent computer system that plays games AND adult stuff too.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

TC you answered your own question mama wants it mama gets it.

Tonio
      tonio
      81 xs eleven special

Comment

One of my sons has it and we all have a blast playing the boxing and bowling. Much better than just sitting there and watching them play is fun all in itself.

Comment

Re: Anybody use a Wii gaming system?

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
          This could have turned into something like an oil or tire thread, but I tried to keep it narrowed to this one system!

SWMBO has stated/hinted that she wants "US" to get one of these for her for Xmas. So...I was just wondering if other Xsives have this system, what do they think of it, the games to play with it, specifically the SPORTS game, etc.?!

I don't get to play with my Orig. Xbox or PC games much anymore, and SWMBO doesn't play them due to poor hand/eye coordination, but I know the Wii uses a different...?simpler interface design and some of the games are a bit simpler like bowling...which she used to enjoy till Arthritis set in. I just find it hard to justify shelling out $300.00 + for something that will probably get used for 2 weeks, and then left alone!
          T.C.
          Hey T.C

The Xbox 360 Elite panels & Halo 3 special's are out in stores too, which imho are worth a look into, Considering the variety of games available for it as well the amazing graphics, it would be pretty hard for you guy's to get bored of it anytime soon. But then again may be you already own a 360 or have tried one & just wanna give the Wii a go this time around?

As far as the Price factor is concerned, U're pretty much on the spot.

The Wii is the least expensive of the three at $250.

X360 $250-300
          Nintendo Wii $225-250
          PS3 $400-450

Comment

I have PS2 and a bunch of PC games, racing games, guitar hero, hockey. Tried the WII, thought it was really cool for the golf, bowling, tennis, boxing games that are unique to it. Found it didn't compare to PS2 or XBOX for the regular style games though.
            Ernie
            79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
            (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Firstly, you should know that I'm not a video gamer at all. I'm a button-masher with any of the other systems. But a buddy got a Wii system, and I have to say it's pretty cool.

My only beef with it was that for golf, IIRC, you have to watch the screen, rather than keep your head down, as I tried to do. Messes with you some if you actually play golf. You'll actually work up a sweat with the boxing. Billards, you can even pull a masse shot. Just remember to keep the controler pointed at the thing that reads it; it may not register otherwise.

I liked it overall. I'm not going to personally shell out the cash for it, but it was certainly a fun time. This is coming from someone who doesn't really like video games, so I'd say that it should definitely have some serious consideration.
              -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
              '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
              ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Take a Wii, leave a Wii...

I'm about to buy a Wii for me ( errrm, my son ) here in the next week or so. I've played one and the controller setup is the best I've used in years. It's very intuitive the way they've made some games. They play much like the real thing. It's the first console I've actually been interested in in a loooong time.

I can't stand the current generation of video game controllers (N64 was the last decent controller, IMHO), so I rarely play on a console system anymore. I play a lot of games on the PC though. I have no a, s, d, or w labels on my keyboard...and the mouse has worn spots on the buttons.

Half-Life 2:Episode 2 comes out tomorrow!!! Been waiting for it for over a year. Best game ever made! Something tells me I'll be up at 2AM when they unlock it. Already have it loaded and ready.

My son has gotten a lot of use out of his PS2. I hacked it a couple of years back and installed a 200GB hard drive in it. Rented games for over a year and filled it up....now it has 80+ games in it. No need for discs anymore.
                80 XS1100SG
                81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I think the Wii would be fun too. I believe it was designed for the older generation ( read Parents) and how you interact with the unit makes it a whole new ballgame. I do not think you can make a comparison between Xbox or PS2 because this is diferent. I would say go for it and enjoy!!!
                  1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Hey JWsanders,

How easy is it to hack the PS2 and install a hard drive? I've got a bunch of extra drives, wouldn't mind trying that.
                    Ernie

Comment

It may seem complicated, but really it's not.

You need two peices of extra equipment: A gadget called an X-Port , which connects the PS2 to your PC, and allows you to change the contents of the memory card, and:

The Official PS2 Network adapter.

If you've ever seen the adapter, you'll notice it has an IDE connector and a molex power plug on the backside of it. The hard drive plugs right up. From what I understand, all Maxtors fit perfectly (that's what I'm using). Other drives can be mis-sized and not line up with the connectors correctly.

Then you add a special savegame to the memory card. The save is tied to a PS1 game (any title will do). When the PS1 game it's tied to is put in the unit, the memory card will run the special save you made, and viola! It runs a simple file manager that allows you to run several different apps. Right now, I have a FTP server (allows you to transfer games to the HD via ethernet, but is verrrrry slow), memory card manager (allows you to save gamesaves to the HD), and the Hard drive manager (called HDloader) on my son's card. There's even a program that allows you to read PS2 formatted HD's in your PC.

Now the downside...

Not all games are compatible with being run from a HD (google "HDloader compatibility list"), and network (online) gaming will not work on games ran from a HD.

I can send you all the files needed to do it, if you want. There's pretty decent instructions in the package, too. My files are pretty old, however. There are probably updated versions on the net. I havent updated my son's in well over a year. I understand that a memory card hack has just been developed that allows you to play copies without a modchip, too. Might be worth your while to google "HDloader", or "PS2 memory card hack" before investing in any hardware.

I guess I should look into what's new, as well.
                      80 XS1100SG
                      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Thanks JW,

Found out they have newer versions including a usb one. All you need is a usb drive and you can do the same thing. I guess that cuts out the need for the network adapter. I will look into it some more and let you know how I make out.
                        Ernie

Comment

Well, I live in a fairly large metropolitan area, the tidewater region of Virginia. Went shopping yesterday, EBgames, ToysRUs, Walmart, etc. were all sold out! I was told by the Best Buy sales manager to look at the Sunday Paper today! hint, hint So...I figured there would be an availability problem like I had read about, so got up early, read that they were to have a MINIMUM of 10 game consoles per store, went to the store an hour before they opened, but there were already 11 people in line! An employee came out and mentioned that they thought they had a few more than 10 units, so I stuck around 45 minutes even though I was #12 in line! Finally got to go inside the store, but there was ONLY 10 units, and so I didn't get one!

The ToysRUs store only received 5 units, and unless you had asked about them the day before, you wouldn't have known to be there at 6:00 am to receive promise tickets for them when the store would open at 10:am!

SO....after completing my shopping at the wholesale club store, came home and informed SWMBO about the problems we will encounter in trying to buy one of these systems for the LOW RETAIL price! SO...we got online, Amazon.com, the wife used her Amazon card to get a discount, we had to buy one of those BUNDLES, but with her discount, we got free shipping, and 2 extra games for about $350.00!! Oh well, there goes the surprise, hope she likes playing it!?
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You'll have to let us know how you like it! I think my wife might actually play one. She hates the PS2 and XBox we have now.
                            78 xs1100E standard

Comment

Standing in line

TC posts:-"An employee came out and mentioned that they thought they had a few more than 10 units, so I stuck around 45 minutes even though I was #12 in line! Finally got to go inside the store, but there was ONLY 10 units, and so I didn't get one!"

As a child in England in WW2 my mother & I stood in line for stuff. If you found a line-up in front of a store you joined it regardless because they might actually have something in stock.
                              After that I swore I'd never line up for anything again, ever. And the experience has given me a life-long hatred of line-jumpers.
                              But House of Tools had their $350 garage crane on for $127:50. So there I was, #7 in line as the doors opened, me and the other old gaffers (and one kid in coveralls with a fistful of small bills who'd been sent by his drag car team) all wanting a bargain crane. There were perhaps a dozen of them for sale.
                              #1 thru #4 get served then the guy at the register swans off some place. But there's this lady on the phone selling off those cranes to phone-in buyers.
                              " Hey Lady," I yell, "Would you kindly first sell those cranes to the guys who stood in line to get them or would you want to see a grumpy old man riot in here?" Got mycrane.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X