X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch!

Speed demons
    Tue, October 2, 2007
    Eye-popping speeds light up police radar guns as a tough new law takes effect.
    By JOE BELANGER, SUN MEDIA

London police Const. Chris Riley of the the department's traffic management unit aims a speed detection device at traffic on Wharncliffe Road yesterday. (DEREK RUTTAN, Sun Media)
    They were zipping along at speeds ranging from 132 kilometres an hour to 194 clicks -- not at the local dragway, but on London-area roads.
    Yesterday was D-Day for leadfoots in Ontario, with such scofflaw drivers paying a heavy new price for speed.
    A tough new Ontario law that treats excessive speeders as street racers has now taken effect, with no shortage of the "shock and awe" reaction police had expected.
    At least eight drivers in the London region were nabbed -- licences yanked for a week, cars impounded and drivers ticketed a minimum $2,000 fine for exceeding the speed limit by 50 kilometres an hour or more.
    But there's more -- they'll have to pay $400 in tow and storage fees to get cars back.

Yesterday, London police clocked a Honda Prelude at 132 km/h in an 80-km/h zone and a motorcycle at a whopping 168 km/h along the same stretch of Wharncliffe Road South.
    "The point of the legislation is to protect everybody, including the drivers," said London traffic Sgt. Tom O'Brien. "Obviously, fines haven't deterred that behaviour, but the loss of the vehicle, I think, is going to be the issue for these drivers."
    The new street-racing law in the Highway Traffic Act was ushered in after several fatal street-racing crashes this summer, mostly in the Toronto area.
    The regulations make it easier for police to impound vehicles and suspend licences for seven days for speeding 50 km/h over the limit, racing, turning "wheelies" on highways, drifting in traffic, plus other dangerous stunts.
    Fines can now range from $2,000 to $10,000 and licences can be suspended for up to two years.
    London has racers, O'Brien said. To the end of September, London police issued 100 tickets to speeders exceeding the limit by 50 km/h or more.
    In Elgin County, the first charges were laid about 3:30 a.m. Sunday when an OPP officer on Wellington Road South clocked three southbound vehicles at 194 km/h, 186 km/h and 179 km/h in an 80-km/h zone.
    Those drivers, one from London and two from St. Thomas, face racing charges.
    In Oxford County, police seized two vehicles from speeding drivers Sunday.
    OPP Sgt. Dave Rector, media officer for the Southwest Region, said drivers had lots of warning.
    "There were a lot of people who were surprised . . . no, I'd say dumfounded is a good way to put it," said Rector.
    There is no right of appeal in the case of a suspension or impoundment, police say.
    Across Ontario, OPP impounded 30 vehicles and issued seven-day licence suspensions in the first 24 hours under the new regulations.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

They ought to do something like that here. I just love having my 3 kids without 10 yrs between them and my wife all loaded up in the minivan and having a pack of t-shirt wearing no helmet teenagers come zipping by on sport bikes doing wheelies at 85 on the interstate about 10 feet in front of me. Save it for the racetrack.

My .02 cents.
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

Even if I don't speed around at 50 to 100 KPH over the limit I see this as nothing more then a BIG BIG cash grab across the province. EVERY cop I have ever chatted with about speeding has agreed that speed alone does not kill. Careless and non-attentive driving kills and of course when careless driving and speed are mixed together you have a problem.
      For me if I'm driving on a major city to city highway in lite traffic and I happen to be doing 150 KPH from time to time in a 100 KPH zone should I lose my license and have my car impounded and pay a $2000 fine? I don't think so. No one in their right mind should be doing 150 KPH in normal or heavy traffic, hopping lanes, cutting others off, flashing their light to move people over popping wheelies etc and that's the difference. CARELESS driving is the REAL issue and the STIFF penalties should only be applied when that is the case. Police will however just use this new law to RAKE in tons of cash from EVERY ONE regardless of the circumstances involved.
      I would be more then happy to see MUCH stiffer penalties when speed and carelessness are mixed or for carelessness alone ... but not just for speeding. Cops can now just set up anywhere at anytime and RAKE in the dollars for speeding alone.
      Rob
      Last edited by 79XS11F; 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM.
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Look at it this way.

If they impound every car on the 401 doing 50k over, there'll be a hell of a lot less traffic between Toronto and Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatloaf
          Look at it this way.

If they impound every car on the 401 doing 50k over, there'll be a hell of a lot less traffic between Toronto and Montreal.

Rob and I agree. It is not my car I am worried about. 150 on the bike is not unusual. Well it wasn't. This law was aimed at car racing that was killing bystanders. And please don't give me a lecture about bikes and bystanders (my uncle was killed by a bike while standing on the side walk). The guy that did this was doing about 150 in the city. Take his bike his lic. and throw his butt in jail. But exceeding the limit on some of our deserted roads and being caught in a speed trap is a cash grab. Another damn tax.

Comment

and that would create more room to speed safely :-)
            Rob

Originally posted by Meatloaf
            Look at it this way.

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

This is what the law was intended for. I hope they get what they deserve.

Brothers charged after deadly car crash in Ontario
              07/10/2007 11:59:21 AM

Two brothers in their 20s have been charged with criminal negligence causing death after a seven-vehicle crash that killed two women in Brampton, northwest of Toronto.

A number of vehicles were heavily damaged in the chain-reaction crash.<br /> <em>(CBC)</em>
              A number of vehicles were heavily damaged in the chain-reaction crash.
              (CBC)

Police say two men were each driving a car south on Highway 50, toward Mayfield Road, north of Major MacKenzie Drive before the crash.

They say it appears one of the cars, an Audi, slammed into a Pontiac Grand Am carrying 49-year-old Cynthia Dougherty of Palgrave, Ont., and 44-year-old Maria Dalsass of Beeton, Ont.

Witnesses told police they saw two vehicles speeding before one of them went out of control just after noon.

The collision set off a chain reaction, said Const. Adam Minnion of Peel Regional Police.

The Grand Am, also travelling south at the time of the accident, was left smashed on all sides, police said. Both women were pronounced dead at the scene.

Drivers and passengers of the other cars were treated for minor injuries on the scene. The two men who were charged were not injured.

Minnion said it was "quite astonishing" that more people were not hurt, considering the seriousness of the crash.

Steven Machado, 22, and his brother Brian, 27, both of Mississauga, were taken into custody. A bail hearing was scheduled Sunday.

Police seized two vehicles, a badly damaged Audi and a BMW, under Ontario's new street racing laws, applied to drivers travelling more than 50 km/h over the speed limit.

Comment

I agree ... this sort of thing is in deed what the new law is for. Sounds like your typical spoiled brat out of control kids with more money then brains and now they have managed to kill a few people.
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

this sort of thing is in deed what the new law is for
                  Before the new law these two guys would not have been charged with murder/manslaughter ???

mro

Comment

Originally posted by mro

Before the new law these two guys would not have been charged with murder/manslaughter ???

mro
                    They still can be. The new law just gets them OFF the road right away and makes it costly to get back on the road. Add more financial pain up front.
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

So this is in Canada? When the article said London I thought England. No one should be going that fast through the streets of London England.

And for us ignorant Americans, 50 km/h over the limit equates to about 30 mph over the limit.
                      1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Originally posted by malber
                        So this is in Canada? When the article said London I thought England. No one should be going that fast through the streets of London England.

And for us ignorant Americans, 50 km/h over the limit equates to about 31 mph over the limit.
                        That's why I believe it's a CASH grab. There will always be times when it serves it's purpose and this is one of those times ... but in general it's a CASH grab.
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                        X