Arkansas Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas Experience?

I am thinking of doing some riding in Arkansas north of I-40. We are heading up Hwy 7 out of Hot Springs to Deer, AR at hwy 16... heading west from there to St Paul, and down hwy 23 and over to Paris.

BUT... I see about 1/2 way between Deer and St Paul is a place called Fallsville and a hwy 21 south to Clarksville. It looks like a fun road also.

Anyone had any experiences in this area that can give some advice? Are either one worth the extra miles to go ride on our way from Hot Springs to Talihina? Thank you in advance.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Take 23 as far north as you can. It's called the "Pigs Trail". Some of the best riding in the nation from I-40 all the way to Eureka Springs. I doubt you'll have time to go that far but it is a sweet and twisty raod.

But watch out for the hillbillies!

I don't know if you realize this or not...but to go 150 miles in that neck of the woods is not like riding from McAlster to Paris. It will likely take you 5 hours to go 150 miles...even if you're pushing it...especially up a road like 23.
    Last edited by MAXIMAN; 09-30-2007, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Back in the day..

I spent quit a bit of time in N Ark when I was yonger. Lot of backpacking and such. (If you have never had a pack of razorbacks run through your camp you haven't lived! My buddy had is tent ripped open down the side.)
      I know it different now for the most part, but some of the state highways we used to drive were gravel!
      Might wanna call a local bike shop or Chamber to double check before you get too deep.
      JimBoReeno
      My Ex!"Half-Breed"
      '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
      '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
      2000 Indian Chief
      Millennium Edition

Comment

It will likely take you 5 hours to go 150 miles...even if you're pushing it...

Sounds like the kind of road I'm looking for! Catching HWY 7 and 23 in the same day sounds like it may be what the doctor ordered! We will be coming south on 23 though, but that whole road we are planning to take north of I-40 looks the same on the map as 23. I guess we'll see! Maybe we can wear the sides of the tires a bit instead of just the middle.

I have been to Eureeka Springs a few times but never in a bike. Lots of cheap "$40 a night with jacuzzi" rooms listed all over town. I may have to make that ride someday. Thanks Cody.. (For once I actually mean it!)

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Arkansas

There is also another fun ride from Fayetteville to Talaquah Ok. But 23 is deffantly a good ride.
          1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs
          1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

FWIW, first XS rally I went to was in Eureka Springs, back in 2000. Some nice riding in the area. Would not be a bad place for another rally.

Not to hijack the thread, but one of the cleanest engines I've ever seen was Master Ho's Special at this rally:

Photo taken while we were assembling to head out on a morning ride. First time I had seen the Jardine "spagetti" pipes; it had been less than a year since I bought the XJ and was still new to a lot of stuff.

You can barely se my XJ in the background of the top photo.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Set it up!! I'll go!

That bike is sickening! lol. He needs a good wet oily puddle to ride through!

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100