Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! Getting an XS1100HS soon (hopefully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi! Getting an XS1100HS soon (hopefully)

hello folks...

I'm getting ready to acquire a '81 XS1100 Special... Basically just have to go get it and hand over the moolah. I currently ride a XJ550, which I love, but it desperately needs a big sister.

sooo....

Are there any quirks that these bikes are famous (or infamous) for?

This one has less than 15K on it, needs a few minor things (rear foot pegs, float levels, minor wiring, etc).

I'm picking it up for a winter project. My 550 has been a blast to work on (I got it going after it's been sitting for 20 years in the barn), so I'm hoping this one will be too.

cheers,

Vlad
    ----
    '81 XS1100SH "Hound of Basketville" - new project
    '81 XS1100H Venturer
    '81 XJ750RH Seca

"Welcome"

You should have no problems.
    Take your time... and by Spring she'll be all pretty and on the road.
    Quirks... some people have probs with second gear, some people don't.
    No different than any other old bike.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hey, Vlad, you might want to check this article from the FAQ section . I don't mean to scare you off, but there are a few things that are pretty common in a neglected bike, and a few that will appply to just about any quarter-century old bike you pick up. Got any pics of it yet?
      Ken Talbot

Comment

nope, no pics yet, but I'll take plenty soon.

The PO tells me it starts and runs and she never had any problems with the gears. So, that's one good thing.

Everything else I can pretty much tackle myself, after cutting teeth on the XJ550. They're very similar, but everything on the XS is just bigger :-)

I'm planning to do a few things right away, like rubber, brake shoes (how many are there?), line the tank with POR15, replace the fusebox if it hasn't been done already, change the fluids.. We'll see how it goes from there.
        ----
        '81 XS1100H Venturer
        '81 XJ750RH Seca

Comment

The list looks good, except for the POR15. I would NOT line a tank unless you have bad rust problems. The brake pads on the Specials are fitted for left and right side on the front, and I think the rear is the same on all XS1100s.
          Welcome to the club, and DO post picks.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

understandable... of course I haven't seen the inside of the gas tank yet. it may be spotless

But... I did the POR15 treatment on my 550 and I'm very pleased with it - unlike Kreem or similar stuff, it does not chip or flake and it stays somewhat flexible. I've pulled the petcock after 5K miles and it has absolutely no sign of the liner coming off. Time will tell of course.
            ----
            '81 XS1100H Venturer
            '81 XJ750RH Seca

Comment

Hi Vlad & welcome,
              I have often thought that Yamaha's designers all graduated from Weird Harold University and that the designers of different models are not allowed to talk to each other even though they have a common pool of parts. You will find several quaintnesses on your 1100, like the engine runs backwards, and like the Special's swivelly tapered-pad front brakes. The Special's pathetically small gas tank on a bike that drinks gas like a Buick means forward planning to be sure of the next gas station before you go out of town. All in all, a wonderful machine, you are going to love it.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

new xs'er

Hi Vlad, welcome and good luck with your acquisition.These bikes are pretty much bulletproof.If you drive them right you should not have the tranny problems some of them have.My 79 standard has 38,000 miles and has been trouble-free.If your like most people on this forum you will appreciate driving something different than the norm(crotch rocket or cruiser style bikes).There is a wealth of information here about your bike and you will have fun with it!

Comment

decisions, decisions...

ugh.. seller dragging feet... maybe sold to someone else already? who knows.

so now I'm looking at 2 other Elevens.... Found 2 for sale here in northeastern OK... One needs a head gasket, but is cheap... 81 standard. never done a head gasket.

the other one, an 80 midnight, looks and sounds great, but a bit on the pricey side... which means I'd have to sell the baby XJ.

UGH.
                  ----
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer
                  '81 XJ750RH Seca

Comment

Hi Stereomind,

Sell the baby...... Buy 'em both!

You will eventually end up with more than one..... might as well start that way!

If you are thinking about the "Midnight"... don't pay top money unless you have checked that it IS a Midnight, and that all the right bits are (a) There! and (b) In EXCELLENT condition.

Almost every Special is advertised as a "Midnight"... Even over here, where they were never imported, so check.

The midnight should have no chrome/silver/ally apart from the top (sliding part!) of the fork legs, and the outer rim of the wheels.

Everything else should be Black, or Gold.

Refinishing the gold is either expensive or impossible, and the black chrome is (probably!) impossible, so take care.

AlanB
                    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

The tank and emblems are chrome on an MNS...they are gold on the regular special. What gives???

Comment

Welcome! (maybe)

Vlad,

I hope that you are able to salvage your deal, or find an even better one on an Eleven. They are great old bikes! Plus, as you have already discovered, they have an excellent online community of fellow owners

Dave
                        Dave
                        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Working...
                        X