Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

narcotic of your choice

Only a few things rival riding thru a canyon on a cool evening,
    having the road to yourself...leaning a little and XSelerating thru the turns...engine winding up to a decent growl...trees flashing past...moon-stars the only light besides the beam shinning from the front of the bike...no passenger, no witnesses just out alone on the road...

mro
    would be difficult with a hack attached...No?

Comment

Why the third wheel?

Hi olebiker,
      I'm hooked OK? But I can rationalize it. First, there's safety reasons. A rig don't fall over, even on loose gravel or glare ice. Riding dirt roads solo used to scare me spitless but with the sidecar, bring 'em on.
      Second there's practical reasons. My riding season starts a month sooner and ends a month later with a rig because it works OK in snow and ice. Admittedly I can't ride at much below freezing temperatures because the motor won't start when it's that cold. And man! The stuff you can carry! Think about the worlds largest saddlebag. My sidecar is a single seater with a very small trunk but it can carry 14 dozen beer with the tonneau snapped shut.
      Third, there's social reasons. My wife refuses to ride pillion. She says if she wanted to sit like that she'd go see her gynecologist. But she happily rides in the sidecar, happy as Larry, playing Elvis on her discman.
      Fourthly, it's just plain fun.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

NO

".leaning a little and XSelerating thru the turns...engine winding up to a decent growl...trees flashing past...moon-stars the only light besides the beam shinning from the front of the bike...no passenger, no witnesses just out alone on the road...
        would be difficult with a hack attached...No?

Hi mro,
        No. Not difficult, different is all. Rigs don't lean but you can put the body English to her as you slow down before a rightie, downshift and accelerate round it with the sidecar wheel just at the point of lifting. Or go hard into a leftie on wet blacktop, keeping the gas on as you understeer straight on with the front wheel pointed left, snap the throttle shut to veer the rig into the curve then straighten the front wheel and open up again as she points the right way. Plus those patches of wet leaves or loose gravel or spilled diesel or whatever that you can't see too well in the dark are just a minor annoyance rather than a major problem.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

No. Not difficult, different is all

What ever floats your boat
          I'm certainly NOT knocking side cars....
          and agree riding on two wheels on a gravel drive sucks.
          Can attest to what happens running over a patch of leaves stuck to mud in a turn...
          Now and then will ride with company and also now and then would like the extra storage space...but 99% of the time like to be alone and "unencumbered" with anything XStra.

Have found that passenger foot peg and sissy bar work real well holding a couple fly rod tubes so I can combine a couple things I enjoy most. For now that's enough for me.

mro

Comment

didn't see anything in the rules that you can't have a sidecar and a solo XS. or 2 rigs and 2 solos.
            fly
            78xs/hitchhiker
            USCA mw director

Comment

That's what we are planning...

Two solo XS's and one with a rig. We have three kids, and no matter how we try, we just can't seem to strap one of them to the luggage rack.

Comment

didn't see anything in the rules

Rules?
                You got rules???
                Must admit to being a little XSive.
                Just sold my 80G yesterday
                So that leaves me with but 3 runners
                1 for sure restore
                1 maybe restore or just get it running
                2 parts bikes, 30 feet of shelving of misc. parts.
                Not sure, know there's at least one but maybe two engines sitting on the pallet rack and a couple heads too
                Almost forgot the engine I put on the stand.

mro
                (XSive personality disorder)
                do have a habit of getting cairred away with things I find...Amusing?

Comment

Photos of Bike

Here are a couple of pictures of the outfit

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1384/...d396c721_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1417/...947709fc_m.jpg
                  goldfinger

Comment

nice looking rig.
                    fly

Comment

Isn't there a sidecar dealer in dallas area? I was looking at them for the same reason 3 in family 1 bike but decided the wife needed a bike of her own. I thought the company I was looking at was in dallas.
                      68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
                      76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
                      79 special (skull bike)
                      79 special (parts bike w/title)
                      79 special
                      80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
                      81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
                      81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
                      80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
                      81 650 maxim
                      81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
                      88 Zx 600r (Sold)
                      01 Gz 250

Comment

Actually, the side car dealer is in Ft. Worth. We may go by there some day and browse.

Comment

Working...
                        X