Sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar

John and I have played around with the idea of a sidecar before... the problem was, neither of us wanted to put it on a regular ride...
    With the new addition to the stable being pretty much set up for long distance travelling... we had toyed with the idea of putting one on the Bag Lady... We would finally be able to take all three kiddoes on a ride at the same time... without trying to keep one from sliding off of the gas tank... or the luggage rack...

Anyone have advice they are willing to share on this one?
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Go for it!

Hi Wildkat,
    Warning 1)
    Sidecars are seriously addictive and there is no known cure.
    Warning 2) It ain't a bike no more, it only looks like one. It steers like a lopsided pickup truck. Attempt to lean it over (which, of course, it won't) to corner and it'll turn the other way instead.
    Half a day doing figure 8s in a parking lot will fix this in your mind.
    Choice of sidecar.
    Just look for a bargain. Most sidecars are OK but watch it's weight. An empty sidecar should weigh at least 1/3rd as much as the bike+rider. Sidecars that open up to allow easier passenger access are best.
    Kids are spry so you'll be OK with a top loader but although I slide into mine easily enough it takes a burly helper to
    haul me out again.
    Attachment to your SG.
    Unless you have a local expert you gotta build your own attachments: there are 4.
    Top front, there are 4 tapped holes in the steering head area for attaching a fairing, use those.
    Bottom front, I used the front engine mount bolt holes with longer fasteners.
    Top rear, a George clamp on the frame tube near the top of the shock works here.
    Bottom rear, remove the centrestand and use the centrestand mounts to attach an L-shaped sub-frame that also hangs from a 1/8" steel plate clamped behind the footpeg casting.
    Modifications to the SG.
    it's not essential but it does help to lessen the steering trail (move the front wheel forward) to make the rig's steering lighter. This is easy on a Special. Swap in the tripletrees off a Standard. They plug straight in but you gotta cut the headlamp ears tubes a tad shorter.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Excellent info, Fred

I figured that you would be able to point us in the right direction...
      Thanks a bunch!

I found a place close to us that deals in sidecars, so maybe a good source there as well...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Hi Wildkat,
        I forgot to suggest if you want to get serious about sidecars, sign up with this list:-
        http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/
        Or if you want to look at sidecar goodies, these guys ain't the only supplier but they do have a nice on-line catalog:-
        http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Those are GREAT websites

really good information there... thanks, Fred!

There was a link to a sidecar with options for a VCR and all types of video game systems which the kids were very excited about... until I showed them the cost of the base model ($10,000)
          I don't think we will go with that one...
          81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

of course you want a sidecar. Fred gave you good advice. go to sidecar.com and unload Hal Kendall's books. the USCA has a goog mag. Texas USCA state rep is J.R.Lewis texasroadrunner4@hotmail.com avoid the Yellow book. check out Hack'd mag at hackd.com. thatshould keep you busy till lunch.
            fly
            78xs11/hitchhiker

Comment

Re: Sidecar

Originally posted by Wildkat

Anyone have advice they are willing to share on this one? [/B]
              Do not try to put you right leg down?
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Hello Wildkat,

I agree with Fred sidecars are addictive they are great fun to ride once you have mastered the unusual handling characteristics of an outfit. Sadly they are now a rare sight in the UK. In the late 1950s there were 165,000 registered here, now there are only 5,000.The X11 is an excellent bike for the job. The only alteration I made to the bike was to fit double strength springs in the front forks, as they bottomed out with a loaded chair. If fitting the sidecar yourself check out the measurements of toe in sidecar to bike, and the angle of sidecar to bike from the vertical, these measurements
                are vital for proper handling. Someone else fitted mine so I am not sure what they are. As Fred says its no longer a bike, so forget all you know about riding a solo an outfit is completely different. Never ride with an empty chair I use a 5 gallon water carrier as ballast
                Hope all goes well & good luck
                goldfinger

Comment

Ballast

"Never ride with an empty chair I use a 5 gallon water carrier as ballast"
                  Hi mbowld,
                  what make & model sidecar are you hauling & what does it weigh? I find that running my "Spirit of America" sidecar without ballast is doable although I admit you have to think ahead more and slow down before trying a rightie (or in your case, that'd be a leftie) when running light.
                  Mind you, I have permanent ballast, a horkin' great car battery (lotsa weight, 5 x the cranking Amps & 1/2 the cost of the bike battery) mounted on the sidecar frame. I like ballast that works for it's living rather than just sits there.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Advice well heeded, Spiderman

(making a note to keep right foot up)

Thanks again for all of the great tips! Don't know when this will happen... but it certainly is good to know there are those of you out there with experience on this one...

Thanks guys!
                    81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Ballast

Hello Fred

I pull a watsonian GP single seat sports sidecar weight 195lb Was thinking of fitting a car battery myself will probably ditch the water carrier then
                      goldfinger

Comment

I had a Veter Terraplane sidecar on my first xj in '82. My wife loved it, we could go grocery shoping using the XJ!

It had a 3 point mount, one in the front a lower in the rear and the rear upper was adjustable like a king sized turnbuckle that you could use to adjust the 'lean' angle to compensate for speed and road crown. I saw someplace that somebody took over the manafacturing of them and they are again available.

They are also very good looking.

Louis
                        "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                        brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                        '82 XJ1100J
                        LED Dir and running lights
                        LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                        Modulated H/L
                        PIAA Driving lights
                        YICS Eliminated
                        750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

side car pics

http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/photo...asp?albumid=19
                          Interesting, but not for me

mro

Comment

Not for you?

"http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/phot....asp?albumid=19
                            Interesting, but not for me"

Hi mro,
                            nice pics. If anyone checking out the photos is wondering, The H-D suspension noted on several of the Velorex sidecars is NOT from a Harley-Davidson (Harley's own sidecars are still 1930s rigid) but stands for Heavy Duty.
                            And mro, try operating a sidecar before saying "not for me" There's a better than 90% chance that after a week you'll be hooked for life. And unlike being hooked on the narcotic of your choice, being hooked on sidecars is a good thing.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred I know that you have been riding a long time and I wonder what it is that you like so much about a hack? I have never ridden one and frankly they scare me a bit. I am however open to things that scare me.
                              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X