The Bargain Basement Bag Lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No no no

The birdcage was a bonus... It was the nice paint and lack of dents that clinched it... and the Pioneer speakers... and the fact that everything was there... and in tact... and... and... and...
    Oh! yes! It's Macho Maroon... (but we call it the Bag Lady?) The Macho Bargain Basement Bag Lady?

Pics tomorrow... or right after I can knock the dust off of it... Looks good... but pretty dirty at the moment...
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

"What was it Miggs said to you, Agent Starling ? Multiple Miggs, in the next cell." "Fly away now Agent Starling. Fly, fly away."
      I usually think of Hannibal Lecter than the bird for some reason. Sorry for the non sequitur Kat. Congrats on the new addition.
      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Hey, they keep the bird as a watch animal!!
        Just try to walk into the house and NOT get your head pecked!!
        DAMHIK...
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So Ray... you're saying my bird is a peck-a-head?

That was during his wild adolescent stage, he's not quite as rebellious now..

Hey!
          Pics of the new baby...
          The ride home...

Poor John... left holding the bag again...

Bare bones...

After a little polish...

still needs LOTS more... but it looks really good under most of the dirt... Very little (if any) discoloration on the engine from burned in fluids...

The birdcage bonus...

When we went over to pick up the SG, the seller tells us he found out last night from his Dad (the PO before the selling PO) that an angry girlfriend had poured turpentine in the gas tank and that the Dad had stripped out 2 pilot screws trying to fix it... I'm pulling the carbs tomorrow then we'll take them apart when the Guru gets home and see what's up... stayed tuned... same Kat time... same Kat channel...

Oh yes... John putting the Macho in the Macho Maroon...
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Bike

I see something beautiful!!! Grats Kat & John or John & Kat Loooking Good!!!!!

Comment

Wow, dig that crazy seat! Is that carpet?

Looks like it's going to clean up beautifully! Great find!
              80 XS1100SG
              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

The seat...

is pretty dang comfortable... It definitely needs a new cover though... It looks like it used to be a burgundy sheep's wool covering... went to brush it out a little and the wool came out in chunks.... great big, dusty chunks... *cough hack sputter*

You have a pet Starling?
                We shoot 'em here...

Dan
                I think that is the general opinion of them here too... but last year I was t-boned by a couple of pairs of great big eyes and a "Can you take care of a baby bird?"
                Apparently... I could...
                He went from all beak and no feathers... to a most beautiful singing voice and a habit that has earned him the nickname "Mighty Poopin' Eagle"
                The biggest problem I have with him (other than his poop factor) is some of the things he has picked up from my kids... mainly.. the constant "Hey Mom" I hear when the kids are at school... there's just no escaping...

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Oh the pain!!! I did at one time, have 2 XS's. One runnin, one not. Had great asperations of making one of em a street fighter. My wife said it silly of me to even FOSTER such an idea and my inner CHILD was coming out. Alas, lack of time/money forced me to part with my project. She was passed on to a worthy reciepent for a paltry sum and now is living the good life, surrounded by her own kind and carefully attended to.

But fear not, fellow XS'ers. My nose is to the ground as I start the search for the groundwork of my naked streetfighter. A worthy stablemate for dresser G model. Now, quick, where my ramp?
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Hey KAT congrads on the new addition. I bet she cleans up real nice. But I must make one "Prom" like comment, that’s the second ugliest seat I've ever seen on a motorcycle! It’s the second because I reserve the 1st for future horrors.
                    wingnut
                    81 SH (Daily Ride)
                    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat
                      Pics of the new baby...
                      Looks like a good score. A bit of work to clean up, a few parts to find, but overall okay. OTOH, that turpentine in the tank might make for some interesting times. I'm not quite sure what you might expect to find there.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

What? You don't like the seat?

The leather is actually kind of cool, the color matches the bike really well... but the severely faded and weathered woolly stuff is pretty nasty... I don't think it will hurt my feelings too much to see it go another direction...

Kind of wondering about the turpentine myself... I got the carbs off this morning and John took them apart... They don't look too bad... Although, John says the pilot jets were screwed in two directions... in and up... but there wasn't any major gunk anywhere...

Any ideas on how turpentine might affect the engine? We don't know how much was put in or how long it ran with it in there...
                        81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

I believe turpentine can sometimes leave a bit of a sticky residue when it evaporates. Worst case scenario might be some of that residue in the wee orifices throughout the carbs. However, the tank would have had to have a lot of it, the petcocks would have had to have leaked, and float valves would have had to have leaked too for any amount to have gone through the carbs. Probably won't be any worse than clearing out skunky gas from any old bike that has sat around a while.
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

"Late with the comments, once again."

Poor John... left holding the bag again...

I thought you were John's "Old Bag".
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: What? You don't like the seat?

Originally posted by Wildkat

I don't think it will hurt my feelings too much to see it go another direction...
                              I'm really glad you wrote that.
                              For the rest of the bike:
                              Very nice!
                              XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

Looks aside...

I'll bet the seat was pretty comfortable in its day... and it probably cost someone a pretty penny (smallest unit of American coinage) to have it done... but it has served its purpose... I'm thinking... purple now... deep royal purple... with fringe...
                                No?

No prometheus... I'm his nag... wait a minute... well... better his nag, than his hag... but I've been known to have those days too...
                                Oh!! ya know... nevermind...
                                It's too early to be witty and clever... apparently...

Turpentine.... well... at least she didn't pour a bunch of laquer or paint in there... Like I said... the carbs weren't too gunky at all... The holes in most of the pilot jets were still clear, just a little residue on one or two of them, so maybe it won't be so bad.
                                81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                                80 LG Black Magic
                                78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                                For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                                X