Moderator help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderator help please

Guys .. I don't know what the heck is going on but any time I am not moving around the site I get logged out. So if I am typing up a long reply I get booted and then loose everything I was working on. my computer accepts cookies so I just don't understand what's up with this. It's a pain in my Butt.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Hey Ron,

I hate to ask it, but are you on DIALUP vs. DSL or Cable?

In my past experience with Dialup, when the browser is stagnant, and it's not accessing new pages or links(like when you are typing a reply), then after a while the connection would be lost.

If you are using a highspeed access, then I'm not sure what's happening....on your end. I have cable, and use a variety of wireless laptops as well as my hardwired desktop, and I am logged into XS11.com on all of them. I can access the site with one, then shut that 'puter down, but don't log off of the site, and then go to the other 'puter and get right back on without having to log back in.

You say you are using Cookies, but do you have your security settings set to DELETE cookies when you close the browser? That would cause it to reset, and you would then have to relog back into the site!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm on high speed cable TC and I am not closing the browser. It just seems to time out on me anytime i am too long typing a reply. Is there a setting I need to change in my user options maybe?
      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Same here...after a period of time I get logged out. Learned to copy the txt before hitting POST...so if I have to relog then I can just PASTE my reply in the new window.
        "Rat Rod"
        79 XS1100 Standard
        87 VMAX cans
        Cheap Japanese Tires
        Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
        Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
        Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerhead1st
          Same here...after a period of time I get logged out. Learned to copy the txt before hitting POST...so if I have to relog then I can just PASTE my reply in the new window.
          You using zone labs fire wall by chance. i am and I have this web site on my good to go list and accept cookies but still times out
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I'm running Zone Alarm, just upgraded to version 7.0.337.000 with WinXP SP2, IE 6.x did not upgrade to IE7. I'm also running Avast 4.0 HOME FREE addition!

I don't know what else to tell you, or Hammerhead. I've sometimes taken 10-15 minutes to complete a post because of doing research, but I'll open OTHER browser windows while looking and such, but will leave the COMPOSE window open on xs11.com.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

On occasion it appears that the XS11 server gets busy.
              I've lost the connection to XS11 a few times and could not get back on immediately so thought something fishy at my end. Then started checking other sites and had no problems.

Doubt XS11 has a dedicated server and direct access to T1...
              Then agin my stuff is getting "old".

mro

Comment

I imagine its a shared server, but its probably on a far fatter pipe overall than just a T1.

The hosting space I use has 2 OC192 trunks with a redundant line for extra bandwidth as needed or if one fails. Each OC192 line is capable of 9.6 Gbps! As they host over 200,000 domains, a large portion of it is actually being used.

It's a ridiculous amount of bandwidth, but pretty common in the larger server farms. At the very least most will use a OC-24 (1.2Gbps) or an OC-48 (2.3Gbps). It really depends on their size though.

At 1.5Mbps, a T1 is slower than my cable modem.

I've been in server rooms (WebMD comes to mind, HQ'ed here in Nashville) that were ungodly. One of AT&T's main data transfer centers is here too. They route many of the OC lines across the country. The guy there told me that they're moving terrabits easily. Made the geek in me all twitterpated!
                80 XS1100SG
                81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I just thought it was normal. If I stay on one screen too long (@10 minutes) I have to re-sign in also. I just thought it was a security thing. I'm on high speed also.

Rob, if you've typed a long post and when you click on submit... and it goes to the sign in screen again, just use the back button, copy what you wrote, then sign back in and paste.. then hit submit again. It's still a pain in the butt, but it's better than losing everything you wrote.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That's what I do Tr but sometimes what I typed isn't there any more. Likely because I have my explorer set to alway search for the newest page or something. In any case I guess I will have to type my longer posts out on a processor and then copy paste them in.
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Mine times out quite regularily as well.
                      Just have to learn to type faster or not be as long winded
                      Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
                      XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

far fatter

Been outa tech too long
                        What they guna think of next.
                        Thought my two pea cans and string were real cool at one time

mro

Comment

I imagine it won't be long before everyone has a fiber running to their house, and everything from HDTV to really high bandwidth internet (100Mbps or better) will be piped over it. It's still in it's infancy, really. Once someone figures out cost effective multi-point optical switching, the market will migrate.

Its' a brave new world!
                          80 XS1100SG
                          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Few years ago some developer here in Nor CA was to build a housing trac and all were to be connected with fiber optic. Don't know if it ever happened. When I was into tech stuff I wired house with cat5. Wanted fiber optic but was real pricy at the time.
                            Can pick up a 10 port 10/100 or gigabit switch now for about $25.00...optic switch? was major bucks even when regular switches were hundreds.

mro

Comment

Working...
                            X