hello all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello all

hey, i am about to get my xj1100 tommorow, it is being delivered. it has some serious gas tank issues i need to attend to. and it has been sitting for about 10 years. so it needs a thourough cleaning!
    i am buying it from the origional owner. he took pretty good care of it but then het got a v star and parked the xj.

he cut me a hell of a deal for 400 bucks. i will have pics of it on here soon. this will be my 5th project bike. i get one cheap to fix up then get bored with it. i think i will not get bored with the xj.
    any tips and pointer would be much apreciated. i know my way around yam's pretty good, i have had to rebuild a vmax before after someone else tore it down and put it in boxes a year earlier! that was a challenge! i think this one will be much easier. i have already done a search on what to do about the gas tank. so i think it will be my first step.
    chris
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. If you run into any problems, the guru's here are great and I doubt there is anything they have not seen before.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

first things first

Triple carb clean, new carb kits and please put inline filters in the fuel lines to the carb feeds!

Check the ignition pick up wires for breaks.

Replace the fuse panel with ATC style fuses.

Check the coils and make sure they are in spec. Replace if necessary. I used Accel Super Coils.

Buy a sealed Interstate battery. I just paid $103.95, but here in Texas, we eat batteries for lunch, and the Interstates last about 4 years!

Two people you want to get to know on this site, as far as the XJ goes, are TRBig and MaxiMan.

Details on all these "fixes" can be found on this site.

greg
      Gone but never Forgotten:
      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
      2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
      2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Welcome!

You're in for loads of fun and you're in the right place when the fun bites!

Nah, it won't bite too hard and the Guru's here will always kiss it better

Dan
        Automotive Imbecile.
        Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
        '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Welcome!!
          "Rat Rod"
          79 XS1100 Standard
          87 VMAX cans
          Cheap Japanese Tires
          Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
          Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
          Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

well the carbs are not on the bike and they were disassembled at the time it was parked, and the tank was drained. so it was sitting empty for 10 years, the carbs are in pieces, and also he is giving me another set to go with. also i had already planned to do the inline fuel filters. i had to do it on my 86 radian as well, it has a little rust in the tank.
            thanks for the battery tip, i like the sealed ones better! i had to replace the ones on my 82 gpz and the 79 special quite a few times.
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

awesome site

hey i do a lot of surfing and i found a site that has a tank cleaning system but dont know much about it. but if the bike needs anything there is a good chance they have it.

www.oldbikebarn.com

Comment

welcome to the site Solo.

The first thing you have to do is build the tool to isolate the carbs during sync, the plans can be found in the maint and repair section. The XJ needs this tool but is not required for the XS.
                Good luck with the project
                Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
                XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

i got a long way to go before i build the tool... this thing is in several boxes... only the frame and the motor are in place. i have a lot of stuff to do before i am ready to try to sync anything. hopefully i'll get a pic on here soon.

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

I found plans for THIS TOOL at a BMW site. Excellent idea.
                    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                    07 V-star 1100
                    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Working...
                    X