Early wake up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early wake up

Betcha MRO was up early this morning..... 4 AM earthquake right in his backyard.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Didn't feel a thing
    Did hear about it on the news.
    Been waiting for SF to fall into the Pacific

Last "big one" was working in the shop. Floor was actually rolling and a few things fell off the shelvs.

mro

Comment

Floor was actually rolling and a few things fell off the shelvs.

And that's when he decided to NEVER drink "Mad Dog" 20/20 wine again!

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

WOW

Don't know about quakes, you guys make it sound like an everyday event!

We had a 'nado here in '95, was quite interesting. I worked in trees at the time and got to clean up a lot of mess in my own backyard and got paid for it too!!

We don't get many 'nadoes in Western NY.
        "Rat Rod"
        79 XS1100 Standard
        87 VMAX cans
        Cheap Japanese Tires
        Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
        Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
        Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Quakes, twisters, hurricanes...all are sacry! But then down here in New Orleans we dont have to worry about the first two. So, we concentrate on making the most of our hurricanes.

I have never experienced a quake but I can tell you what a hurricane is like. If your XS is naked, buzz up to about 110 sitting upright and imagine doing that in driving rain while dodgeing lawn furniture, roofing and the odd flat boat....for 5 hours!

Besides, quakes and twisters happen too fast so it is impossible to plan a good 'quake party' like you can plan a good hurricane party! MRO, you are cordially invited down for the next hurricane party!
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

In my experience, people who live in the areas of certain natural dangers (quakes, tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, etc.) are far less freaked out by them than people who have never experienced them.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

next hurricane party!

Did live in Florida for about 10 years.
              First year learned that it was not a good idea to have a house that was but a couple feet above high tide unless you owned floating furniture and a boat.

Got to see tornados, water spouts and a few hurricanes and a $h1t load of lightning. Was wading the flats out of Fort Desoto Park. Was about 1/2 mile from shore and got to see my first water spout. At first thought it wasn't moving....but it was getting bigger, then realized it was not getting bigger just getting closer. Clouds around it were spewing bolts regularly and I just happened to be waving a 9 foot long graphite fly rod. The spout lasted 10 minuets and never got closer than about 500 yards. Weird thing was the wind never blew where I was harder than 10/15 MPH, but the thunder head pasted right over me with lightning crashing all around. Stuck the rod in the water and walked as fast as I could back to shore. Had this image in mind of a cartoon figure holding a lightning rod in the middle of a thunder storm getting zapped by the lightning.

mro

Comment

I read an interesting (fiction) story a while back about a man that was scared of earthquakes. Too bad he lived and worked near the San Andreas fault. Actually his work was on the fault line. Everytime there was a quake he'd sprint out of the building and run across to the east side of the parking lot. He was afraid of the western half slipping into the ocean.
                One day there was an extremely strong quake, strongest he'd ever felt. He ran for the door of his office but the shaking was so bad he couldn't keep his footing and fell repeatedly. He made it to the stairwell but everone else had it jammed trying to get out (all these people that would make fun of him other times). In his blind panic he started climbing over people trying to get out. The quake kept rolling on and on, longer than he'd ever felt before. He made it out the building and tried to get past the handicapped spaces that marked the line where the faultline was. He fell many times and finally a falling peice of debris hit him in the head. Before he fell into unconciousness he realized he was still on the west side of the faultline.... he was going to die.
                Sometime later he came to. He looked back at the building and it was a wreck. He looked around the parkinglot and the cars were all moved from their spots. He looked to the east, where he was trying to get to. All he saw was water as far as the eye could see.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                X